Copperbands and masstick

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a difficult Copperband that I'm trying to get to eat. I'm aware of most of the solutions that work and am going through them. Right now I've stuck a glob of masstick on the wall where he hangs out. He now keeps his mouth right next to that glob, opens and shuts it's mouth but doesn't fully commits to just biting a chunk out. It's crazy. Is it just trying to get the nerve???

I got it because I have an explosion of aitptasia but so far it's shown no interest in picking at my live rock. So far this piece of masstick is the only current hope.

LFGJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey
Depending on the size of the copperband I believe pods will really help start its feeding mechanisms in the tank, it seems to like to stare at its prey see it move and then pick it off. Copper bands are not naturally inclined to eat off the water column, but it can adapt to that in the tank
Also try Manila clams, you can get frozen/fresh ones, as it thaws it’ll open up a bit and copper bands seem to like to poke at those as well.. but be careful if you want to keep or have Tridacna clams in the tank as it’ll start to think those are food..
Hope this helps, I flooded my tank with pods before introducing him into my tank and it got the feeding mechanisms started, although he doesn’t seem to have interest in the aptasia haha!

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live brine shrimp or black worms and frozen clams usually work

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey
Depending on the size of the copperband I believe pods will really help start its feeding mechanisms in the tank, it seems to like to stare at its prey see it move and then pick it off. Copper bands are not naturally inclined to eat off the water column, but it can adapt to that in the tank
Also try Manila clams, you can get frozen/fresh ones, as it thaws it’ll open up a bit and copper bands seem to like to poke at those as well.. but be careful if you want to keep or have Tridacna clams in the tank as it’ll start to think those are food..
Hope this helps, I flooded my tank with pods before introducing him into my tank and it got the feeding mechanisms started, although he doesn’t seem to have interest in the aptasia haha!
Interesting. I wonder if that's what it's doing. I wonder if the masstick is attracting copepods. My tank is crawling with pods of every sort.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had any luck with mastic with a fish thats not already eating.
My copperband will always snatch food spit it out and then go back in and grab a piece again. I also noticed allot fish have FOMO including my copper, so other fish feeding tend to trigger them into eating something that they previously just spit out.

LFGJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I wonder if that's what it's doing. I wonder if the masstick is attracting copepods. My tank is crawling with pods of every sort.
Ah! I’m not sure! There is a YouTube video that BRS did with Elliot from marine collectors, he talks about the copperbands a bit.. maybe this helps

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as I get my CBB next week.
Did you order one or are you getting it at a LFS? I would make sure they tell you that it's feeding and what it's feeding on. I got mine from LiveAquaria and I'm not sure I trust what they are saying. If it were feeding regularly on frozen mysis with them... why doesn't it even look at mine. Right now I'm regretting this purchase! I hope you have better luck! Beautiful fish though.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you order one or are you getting it at a LFS? I would make sure they tell you that it's feeding and what it's feeding on. I got mine from LiveAquaria and I'm not sure I trust what they are saying. If it were feeding regularly on frozen mysis with them... why doesn't it even look at mine. Right now I'm regretting this purchase! I hope you have better luck! Beautiful fish though.
I ordered from Dr. reef. He feeds everything frozen mysis and brine. So hopefully will keep up with that. Ordered 6 different hikari frozen foods. The printed reef copperband feeder and a brine shrimp hatchery. As well as some masstic.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blood worms got mine to start feeding regularly then he started going after the normal frozen foods I feed to my tanks. Took him half a year to start picking at aptasia. If this is where your putting all your money on getting rid of the pest nems then you may want to look at other options as well.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I saw an interesting feeder on printed reef designed for CBB feeding.
I like the printed reef one but the one I make is better ;).

@Biff0rz makes a ccb feeder as well
Thanks for the referral!

For anyone curious, my feeder holds more food, isn't affected by flow, and has stronger magnets. I can also make different caps with various hole configurations. I had one customer with a larger cbb (7") and made a larger feeder for him with larger holes. Regardless, I've had my cbb for over 3 years now and he's always fat and happy during dinner time and I attribute my success with this fish to having a proper feeder regardless of brand. Cbb's are the best!

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the printed reef one but the one I make is better ;).

Thanks for the referral!

For anyone curious, my feeder holds more food, isn't affected by flow, and has stronger magnets. I can also make different caps with various hole configurations. I had one customer with a larger cbb (7") and made a larger feeder for him with larger holes. Regardless, I've had my cbb for over 3 years now and he's always fat and happy during dinner time and I attribute my success with this fish to having a proper feeder regardless of brand. Cbb's are the best!
Will this keep them from ever picking at aiptasia on the rocks? That is the reason I got this fish... I have enough aiptasia to last him months!

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this keep them from ever picking at aiptasia on the rocks? That is the reason I got this fish... I have enough aiptasia to last him months!
Probably not they are constant grazers... if he will actually eat aptasia you will look one day and they will all be gone

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not they are constant grazers... if he will actually eat aptasia you will look one day and they will all be gone
Mine only seams to get interested when I miss feeding for a couple days. Although he is constantly grazing aptasia looks to be the least favorite food in the tank. Berghia nudis do a much better job of clearing them out, just don't add them where the copperband can get right at them or you will have just given him the most expensive meal you will ever feed it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back