Coral barnicle in lobo? Or just another burrowing clam? Best course of action?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I say anything else, I want to make it clear that there is no way of removing whatever this is without causing extreme damage to the Lobo itself. Also, the coral is wild caught so there is that risk. I've had this particular one for 3 weeks - 1 month and have noticed this before but have assumed it was an abandoned burrow, considering most of the previous clam holes have been cut open during the collection process. The particular polyp has never been fully open, probably due to this, but also has a nightly feeding response and no recession.

Sooo, I just noticed this in my lobo, at first o thought burrowing clam due to the back tip sticking out of the Lobo, but then checked back at night and noticed feathery appendages similar to a coral barnicle, also it is extremely small. it is located on the rim and not the mantle itself, so (probably) wouldn't kill the polyp, also have had it for 3 ish weeks and haven't seen any recession.
I tried my best to get a photo but this is the best I can manage

He was In a feeding response when taking this photo, you cannot usually see the skeleton through the rim.
20230927_205701.jpg

Here's what it normally looks like

(Sorry it's a video, didn't have many other photos from the last few days)

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you see small fans coming out and then going back in and out its a barnacle.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back