Coral dip active ingredient??

mrnicebug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for a strictly academic/ best guess. Is the imadcloprid or is the cyfluthrin in Bayer ….( since they are 2 very unrelated insecticides) responsible for eliminating any unwanted guests as a Coral dip/treatment. Also, any anecdotal information on what exactly your trying to kill as a hitchhiker? Let’s take for instance Aiptasia Or Vermetid snails on a plug. Is their a list or any real information on what it actually kills? .. just to be clear let’s leave off any, pesticides are bad/ crop protection is good/ breaking federal law on a container discussion, simply academic….

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong but I think the main ingredients in most dips labeled for reef use are usually diluted botanical oils, maybe some iodine? Dips aren't intended to kill (unless you're dipping with a pesticide like interceptor, in that case it is the Milbemycin Oxime/Praziquantel that will kill most hatched pests), more so to agitate pests into letting go of the frag and not being introduced to the next system. You won't find anything that will kill vermetids or aiptasia or the like beyond manual removal same goes for most pests' eggs.

Last edited:

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new ones are potassium chloride used in water softeners , good for SPS pests , flatworms, bugs etc

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for a strictly academic/ best guess. Is the imadcloprid or is the cyfluthrin in Bayer ….( since they are 2 very unrelated insecticides) responsible for eliminating any unwanted guests as a Coral dip/treatment. Also, any anecdotal information on what exactly your trying to kill as a hitchhiker? Let’s take for instance Aiptasia Or Vermetid snails on a plug. Is their a list or any real information on what it actually kills? .. just to be clear let’s leave off any, pesticides are bad/ crop protection is good/ breaking federal law on a container discussion, simply academic….
I believe it’s the imadcloprid that’s actually doing the work since that was the ingredient everyone always said to look for on the bottle when Bauer was going through their switchover process of renaming things.

That type of dip is NOT for vermitid or aiptasia but rather things like flatworms or red bugs or things like that.

Aiptasia and vermitid there are no dips for, only other animals that eat them (like bergia for aiptasia etc) or manual/chemical removal methods

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back