Coral dips

Mikesmith34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So exactly which Bayer to buy? Advanced complete? Is there a consensus here? I'm about to stop and get some
Tried coral Rx once on a cheap stick and it didn't react well so I haven't dipped since. Too much invested not to though

Tony what happened when you used the coral RX? I've used it on every coral I've ever put in my tank and never had a problem. I've also used H202 and cleared up some ZOES. I'm certainly not opposed to the Bauyer dip just never tried it

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony what happened when you used the coral RX? I've used it on every coral I've ever put in my tank and never had a problem. I've also used H202 and cleared up some ZOES. I'm certainly not opposed to the Bauyer dip just never tried it

Howdy neighbor. Tried dipping a pearlberry and zoa. PB lost color for a few days and the Zoa never recovered. Sounds like I did something wrong but you know how this hobby is -- doesn't take much to develop weird thinking. It's kind of like baseball superstitions.

I'm not superstitious. Just a little stitious. :D

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you guys dip yhe bauer for. Some people say 5 minutes and then wash them twice.

5-30 minutes. ;)

Doesn't really seem to matter. I usually leave them 5-10 minutes but nothing set in stone. @20ml/cup it kills instantly. I've forgotten about them and left acros in the dip for 20-30 minutes without issue but I don't recommend that.

It's unreal how well it works but is gentle on coral. I've had Acros infested with red bugs and aefw that haven't showed polyp extension in months show immediate polyp extension after a Bayer dip.

Rinse it multiple times so not to get any residue in your tank. I accidentally wiped out my pod population from dipping so many corals and getting residue in my tank.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-30 minutes. ;)

Doesn't really seem to matter. I usually leave them 5-10 minutes but nothing set in stone. @20ml/cup it kills instantly. I've forgotten about them and left acros in the dip for 20-30 minutes without issue but I don't recommend that.

It's unreal how well it works but is gentle on coral. I've had Acros infested with red bugs and aefw that haven't showed polyp extension in months show immediate polyp extension after a Bayer dip.

Rinse it multiple times so not to get any residue in your tank. I accidentally wiped out my pod population from dipping so many corals and getting residue in my tank.

When you killed your Pods did it kill any Beneficial Bacteria in the Live Rock?

Any Ammonia or Nitrite Spikes when that happend?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you killed your Pods did it kill any Beneficial Bacteria in the Live Rock?

Any Ammonia or Nitrite Spikes when that happend?

Did not appear to.

I didn't test for Ammonia or nitrite when it happened but I didn't have any negative results. If there was a spike it was minimal.

Last edited:

Mikesmith34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy neighbor. Tried dipping a pearlberry and zoa. PB lost color for a few days and the Zoa never recovered. Sounds like I did something wrong but you know how this hobby is -- doesn't take much to develop weird thinking. It's kind of like baseball superstitions.

I'm not superstitious. Just a little stitious. :D

I don't know? I've never had a problem, I will put them in the dip and use a turkey baster for 2-3 mins kinda blasting them the whole time. Rinse them in tank water and put them in the tank. Sometimes they may be a little mad for a day but always come out fine?? I use one cap full in about 4 cups of tank water.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume this is the right stuff here ?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414003692.262514.jpg

Ahhh

The Good Stuff!

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped a bunch of questionable SPS pieces yesterday in 3 cups of water with 30ml Bayer. Left them in anywhere from 4 minutes to 15 minutes and saw no difference in coral stress (or effectiveness). Used three clear Tupperware containers; two for rinse... could some different color "specks" on the bottom of the container. Not sure what they were. On a couple of the pieces I'm seeing more PE. No ill effects on any of the corals.

Rausch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely pick up some of the Bayer! Sounds like everyone has had great success with it. I have been using Coral Rx for some time now, with only positive effects. All of my SPS, LPS, and Zoa's have been dipped in it and they are alive and happy.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back