Coral not growing… light?

clownaround4giggles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ! I’ve got a fluval evo 13.5 with the obvious mods and such, been running for 4 months and my Corals don’t seem to be growing much except for gsp (because they are like the rabbits of the coral world) parameters are normal and i Do dose and test The calc, alk, phos, etc. I do however only have the stock light and im Wondering if that could be a reason why they aren’t growing much/ have decreased in vibrancy. Should I get a new light? Thank you!

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light is on the weaker side but you shouldn’t have an issue growing softies. Your water may be too clean for GSP

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of those are slow-ish growers, including some species of Zoa... But if they're also losing vibrancy, it could be light or nutrient related... The stock light with the Evo should be good for most of those, but there's really no telling without a proper PAR map of your tank... I don't know that I would jump directly to lighting in this instance... But if you're looking for a light for that tank, maybe an AI Prime, but I would run it at the 30% at the absolute most to start... You'll definitely want to rent a PAR meter if you buy a new light, cause most lights are made for a much larger footprint and deeper tank...

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a comparison, I got both of these at the same time (about a year ago give or take), they both started as 4 heads on a plug, the front colony has 12-15 heads right now, the one in back has nearly 100. I didn't see any growth on the front colony for like 6-8 months while the one in the rear had two new heads in the first week...

PXL_20240510_205057294.jpg PXL_20240510_205106047.jpg

OP
OP
clownaround4giggles

clownaround4giggles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of those are slow-ish growers, including some species of Zoa... But if they're also losing vibrancy, it could be light or nutrient related... The stock light with the Evo should be good for most of those, but there's really no telling without a proper PAR map of your tank... I don't know that I would jump directly to lighting in this instance... But if you're looking for a light for that tank, maybe an AI Prime, but I would run it at the 30% at the absolute most to start... You'll definitely want to rent a PAR meter if you buy a new light, cause most lights are made for a much larger footprint and deeper tank...
I’ve ruled out nutrients because I feed them once weekly and dose whenever something goes low that shouldn’t be. Also my zoas like some nitrates so I don’t totally eliminate them. I had a previous tank with a Nicrew 50 and the Colors were very vibrant, but that tank crashed due to improper filtration.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back