Coral showed up unexpectedly I need to do a water change. How long can I float coarls in bags in the tank?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be a long multi post! I mixed some saltwater about 5 days ago alk was high! I spent all day yesterday testing all but calcium., which I was going to test today! I found out mag was low in one tank corals are going in at 1290, most of the corals are going in that one. I have the wrong magnesium too from BRS so I need to call them. Its the kind they sell for regulars 2 part dosing and not corrections. They just say to put in 20 mls mixed. There is no calculator on their site for this type!

Its been over 2 weeks and I always change water before corals come in. Its over 1,000 worth of corals too! Plus I only have enough mixed for 1 tank since I wasnt expecting corals until the end of week!

I need to do more testing as well. Very long story. My alk checker was broken and reading over 1 k higher verified by hanna checker vials and LFS and ordered a new one but it was ppm. so I have been doing conversions, until mine comes in later today in dkh!

I didn't know my checker was broken and had been keeping my alk at 11 to match my freshly made water. (later found out it was 10) so I was slowly letting it drop because I thought my new bag of Fritz salt might finally come in at right alk!

Long story short. I cant get them in the tank until I mix more salt, run some tests calls brs ect ect! Also possibly take and send pics of corals for guarantee plus I am not even sure that I can get alk to match on my new batch and was going to add to my old batch or maybe start over because that water is almost a week old and alk has been going down so more then likely the other elements too! What a mess!

Should I let the corals float under light or in sump because this may take most of the day! Is it better in sump or under light?

I dont want to acclimate and put them in to later change the parameters and do a water change then or is that the better option!

Freaking out! Good thing they did an am arrival I guess is the bright side.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back