Corals for a seahorse tank

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals would be suited for a seahorse tank, not necessarily low lighting but low flow?

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gargonians and sea fans are neat for a seahorse tank. Do not do lps,made that mistake...bye bye seahorses.................

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a couple of gorgonians that I will be putting in there and plan on doing some macro algae. Yeah, I've read that LPS are a no go. I've also heard the same for dendros so I'd imagine a suncoral would be in the same boat.

Peka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why low flow? Seahorses love flow.....

Softies are good, leathers, some mushrooms, xenia, zoos, ........LPS like suncorals an candy canes are good. I keep those with no problem. In fact, I even keep acans and have not had issues. I keep duncans in with mine but would caution against those. I have see a horse get stuck in them. Dendros are also in my opinion, not a good idea. Gorgonians and sea fans need a lot of flow and can be put in the tank but you risk the horses hitching onto them and damaging the corals. I have kept them but the horses are always the threat to those corals.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always heard not a lot of flow. I'm going to be going with a 29 gal biocube or something similar, what would you suggest for flow in a tank like that? This will be my first go at seahorses and I'm still in the planning/learning stages.

Peka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorses love flow but you do need to have some spots of low flow where they can rest. I would put a hitching post in the lowest flow area and a couple more in different spots. They will pick what they like. A lot of flow does not mean to blast the little guys across the tank but enough to have some water movement in the tank. I have see seahorses hitch onto powerhead and hang out in front of the outflow of it. The whole idea is to give them the choice of where they want to hang out, in the high flow or lower flow areas. BTW, I do turn my pumps off for feeding (out of a dish) .... but you have to make sure that you turn them back on!!!

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peka-any issues with certain powerheads intakes pulling horses into them and sticking them? I need more flow and could throw in another MJ600 or 1200, but wasn't sure if I shoudl hold out for a ph with a more open intake (like mini koralias)?

Peka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxi jets will work fine if you cover the intake with the covers they provide when you buy them. I would not recomment mini koralias unless you cover them with mesh or bridals veil and quite honestly, that's a pain because you have to clean it and replace it all the time. Personally, I like the aquaball powerheads which also come with covers for the intake ( Aquaball Powerhead 1212 )

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty much anything that don't sting..... softies are fine i had a nice bright orange digi in my sh tank along with some shrooms and sea fans a seawhip ummmmm couple leathers and a few acro skeletons to hang around on....lol

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could we see some pics of your setups, lee and peka?

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a jbj nanocube, what do you suggest for flow in that?

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You read my mind. I got the PC version but I'd imagine it'll still generate some heat. I figure I'll give it a test run to see how the temp manages before I put the seahorses in. I'd like to change over to LEDs eventually but not sure how much it'll help.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back