Corals to be banned and it will be illigal to own them.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It pretty much has.

Honestly I still think a small ban would wake the hobby up... I think in the future things will turn out more constructive because a ban would get us a voice too... Make people realize this hobby could be ended just like that if we dont do something and band together. i think for more people they may become more responisble in keeping their animals and in their postings too.

I agree with you here.

Brandon

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I haven't had too much time to read through the thread. Maybe I should go do that, my bad.

3dpilot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, tis is good for the hobby in the long run. Anyway, we all have to abide the rules so gotta look into this permit stuff when all my corals go into the endagered list...which is probably sooner than later.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the ALF front burned down a mink farm, years ago, they killed a lot of minks and foxes and 3 people also.

No I do not support them, I know they are very violent but not towards animals. Thats all I'm saying. I do what I can locally.
If they are violent they are violent towards animals. Unless they go around smashing rocks and dirt all day
People are animals too...

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got another six months.

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/09/20/...rvice-extends-endangered-coral-ruling-months/

Now is the time we need our voices to be heard.
If we do nothing or not enough the ban will go in effect as is listed.
A counter compromise is your best defense in this case.
If a coral is truly endangered, then collection must be banned in the most cases if not all cases.
Captive cultivation of those species already in the hobby should not be negatively impacted, but promoted.
Aqua cultured corals should be encouraged so that illegal harvesting from the wild would not be profitable or necessary.
This will impact some kind of the industry in the hobby but the hobby as we know will still be enjoyable.
If you force to make a compromise than you can't make all party's happy.

Last edited:

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You beat me to it!!!!

The American reef aquarium hobby can breathe a little easier today, at least for another 6 months. Having received a deluge of public comments and lots of criticisms from coral researchers and scientists, the National Marine Fisheries Service is extending its evaluation of the proposal to list up to 66 corals as threatened or endangered.

Some of the blowback the NMFS received came from Congressmen Rep. Doc Hastings of Washington and David Vitter of Louisiana who contended that the proposal relied too heavily on Climate Change to list these corals as worthy of protection.

Read more: National Marine Fisheries Service extends endangered coral ruling by six months

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice but eventually some corals are making that list.
Some how they need to remove the fact we cant propagate/farm the ones that are already in the country. That is the part that need to change. Putting corals on a list not to be collected is one thing. Making the ones already in the hobby illegal is another thing.

3dpilot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is truly endangered, then by all means ban the collection of this specific coral. Banning the species that is our tank already does not fix anything, my .2

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 99.999% of everyone here would agree with you. :)

Brandon

mgdmirage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To have something removed from the list I'd imagine that you'd need a scientific, peer reviewed study (or studies) showing that the animal is not endangered. I foresee great difficulties with this.

My take is that if a coral is truly endangered, then collection must be controlled, at the very least, and banned in the most dire cases. However, captive cultivation of those species already in the hobby should not be negatively impacted, but rather, should be encouraged so that illegal harvesting from the wild would not be profitable or necessary.

I totally agree. Sadly as I was going to pickup my 4 year old from pre-School and had to wait for a train that had probably 40+ sections full of coal I really had started to think about this joke of a bill. Half if not more of our power in the USA comes from the burning of coal and that is our number 1 pollution and then gasoline vehicles. We need to preserve what species of coral there are and encourage dispersion because who knows what could happen in any area at any time these days. Collection should be regulated but those who spread out the species should be praised as we are preserving what could be extinct soon in nature.

Auto companies had the chance to change many years ago but Americans weren't buying it so they switched to gas guzzling vehicles instead, very sad. They should have been more persistent instead of being concerned with one thing: $$$$.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the official release from the government agency that is in charge of making the final decision on this. It does not look like there will necessarily be a public comment period again, but we should keep an eye on their site so that if there is we can state our opinions we take advantage of it. This is good news for now, but we are not out of the woods yet.

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the official release from the government agency that is in charge of making the final decision on this. It does not look like there will necessarily be a public comment period again, but we should keep an eye on their site so that if there is we can state our opinions we take advantage of it. This is good news for now, but we are not out of the woods yet.

Thanks.
We need to eye this close to November.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very worried of what is happening ! NOAA has done the same to Deep drop Fishing on the Atlantic East Coast . I usually drop for golden Tile Fish .It started a few years ago you can keep 4 tiles per trip ,then it went down to 1 fish per day . Now there is a Rec quota on tiles and closed it down for 6 months . The quota is 1000 fish for the Atlantic East coast. Problem is rec anglers don't report their catches . But NOAA closed it down anyway based on their data . Seems they can do what they want ! The only way your voices get heard is if you write or fax your government officals . Don't send e-mails they don't get read just deleted . Found this out the hard way Willi

fishbiscuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha so true....select delete all....and....execute.....once a day, every morning..I wonder what would happen to availability and prices if they toatally cut off all harvesting of corals....just imagine the insanity....krakatoas going for 5 gs...hahaha they almost are already.

andijo81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest problem I have is that this discussion is just like any other political debate these days. Everybody on both sides is really one sided and there's never a grey area. There becomes a point where the collection of some of these corals and Im sure fish need to be protected regardless of how much we love them, problem is the people making the bills would just as well shut down the entire hobby rather than protect what needs to be protected. On the other hand I do think there are many species that we could stop collecting so much of due to how easy they are to aquaculture. I see wild stuff come in all the time that looks just like stuff we've had in this hobby for years. Just like clownfish and a few of the other fish we readily breed, why keep collecting it?

Well put.

Back