Corey's irresponsible 16 biocube

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally found where to start this. instead of filling up the skip cycle thread. Gonna dump all of my decent photos here and use this for updates :)

Eventually I see this tank becoming an anemone only tank in a few years but I don't have room for any more tanks atm so this is it

1000003363.jpg

1000003334.jpg

(Yes it is dead, it came from the LFS and I imagine it died when they dipped it)
1000003379.jpg

The hammer has been doing absolutely great and I swear I see a new polyp every day

OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some video and a photo of my frilly arrow crab (Podochela spp)
Love this guy so much and knew I had to have him when I saw him on sale as a decorator arrow crab (Stenorphynchus sp.)
(After looking at both again I am now unsure. I was thinking it wasn't it was a decorator because the only photos I saw were red. But it may just be less exotic)

Attachments

• 1000003383.jpg
    1000003383.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 1000003386.mp4
    86.1 MB
  • 1000003376.mp4
    81.2 MB

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally found where to start this. instead of filling up the skip cycle thread. Gonna dump all of my decent photos here and use this for updates :)

Eventually I see this tank becoming an anemone only tank in a few years but I don't have room for any more tanks atm so this is it

1000003363.jpg

1000003334.jpg

(Yes it is dead, it came from the LFS and I imagine it died when they dipped it)
1000003379.jpg

The hammer has been doing absolutely great and I swear I see a new polyp every day
What's in with the zoas? It's too big and fuzzy to be a zoa eating spider isn't it? Wild looking!

OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's in with the zoas? It's too big and fuzzy to be a zoa eating spider isn't it? Wild looking!
It is a zoa eating spider, it was long dead and half absorbed into the zoa. I ended up prodding it out of curiosity and I had to physically pull it off the zoa after crushing it on the plate

OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added another skunk cleaner shrimp. Actually properly acclimated this one and got a larger one so my pseudochromis can't pick on it too much

Attachments

• 1000003389.jpg
    1000003389.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night 4(?) Coral and tank update

Caught my neon worm toadstool fully open tonight. Anyone have tips for getting phone camera to catch actinct and fluorescent light better? Using an s23 ultra
1000003395.jpg

My duncan has finally started to open up well and the dead spot on the plug is getting smaller
1000003396.jpg

I caught my neon worm toadstool fully opening its polyps up but before I could get a picture my Crab came running across the tank and scared it back inside.

Guess he just really likes to be in pictures :)
1000003398.jpg

My yellow watchman goby has decided to make his home inside the slats of my upper filter intake. At first I thought he was stuck but I saw him run out and eat some floating food so oh well

One more photo of my shrimp because I love shrimp so much and they're what got me into the aquarium hobby in the first place
1000003393.jpg

OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 5

Skunk shrimp is doing ok :) :) :)
Got her to eat off my hand a bit but shes still a bit skittish. I was right to get a larger one because my pseudochromis did not appreciate the new creature in his area.
Luckily he isn't that aggressive, just territorial. I haven't seen him actually bite anything, he just scares them off
1000003423.jpg

My arrow crab didn't seem too interested in her either but I'm 99% confident the shrimp could easily escape the crab if needed.

Noticing a bit of a bacterial/algae bloom on my rock, not that surprising as my phos is quite high and how new the tank is.
Will do a small water change tonight but overall I'll just let it sort itself out as I don't expect 1 to dominate the rock
1000003431.jpg

Noticing more hitchhikers on my rock as the days go by. Mostly isopods and small snails. I absolutely love the microfauna as well. Hopefully there's enough small snails to sustain my hermit crabs. May pick some more up with my water tonight

Wish my gsp would come out. It was active in the first few days but I placed it in a bad spot where algae would land on it and when moving it I accidentally scraped the base a bit. Saw a bit of fluorescent light from it last night so I think it'll start opening up soon

OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6 update

Remember when I said I was gonna wait a few months until getting another anemone? Well that was a lie
1000003456.jpg

Picked up a condy today :) I might end up putting my corals in cups with holes tonight if he hasn't picked a spot yet. I got this one because of the purple tips. Any tips for these guys? I've heard they're basically the same as other anemones

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6 update

Remember when I said I was gonna wait a few months until getting another anemone? Well that was a lie
1000003456.jpg

Picked up a condy today :) I might end up putting my corals in cups with holes tonight if he hasn't picked a spot yet. I got this one because of the purple tips. Any tips for these guys? I've heard they're basically the same as other anemones
Nice looking anemone!

OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well looks like I'm going to take my psuedochromis to the lfs to exchange today

No matter what I do I cannot get him to leave my yellow watchman goby alone. I have taken my time to build a rock cave and seal every possible entrance from it just for it to dig under the rock to attack the goby

He only wants the goby's tail. Gonna exchange him for a pistol shrimp or something that isn't going to seek and destroy anything remotely similar to it

OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the LFS did not have any pistol shrimp in stock sadly

Had some other stuff to return including the fish so I ended up spending only about $30 and got a green bta :)

He did not want to get off the rock he was on at the lfs and after waiting ~40 minutes for him to move after relocating the rock I gave up and very slowly pried him off of the rock

I could see a gap in where he was holding it and slowly worked my finger nail under and slowly worked him up like a $70 sticker

1000003516.jpg

I really waited so long because I didn't want to stick my hand in the LFS tank but they were starting to close and I know the owners decently well.

Plus the employee seemed more hesitant to handle the anemone than I was to stick my hand in their tanks

OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 3(?) update
In the midst of a heavy ugly/bloom phase, not that I mind that much

If I notice cyano creeping on my coral I blow it off And that holds it back for a while. Just gonna let it do its thing while phosphate keeps going down

There's some good news, some bad news and some undecided

My gsp has finally started to open up again. Only the smaller outer polyps so far.
Is each polyp an individual organism or is it all one? Because the large center piece hasn't opened up yet or for a while. Guess we'll see

My hammer coral is not dead... yet. Since my help post it continued to recede for a few days before very slowly starting to make its way out
The only way I know its not dead is because every time I feed the tank it'll poop a few hours later
I've noticed that the skeleton will darken up depending on how far out the coral was. At first I thought it was the bone decaying but I noticed the dark lines that went to the top ended at tiny little polyps barely coming out.
It wasn't losing many polyps for a while but when it started to creep back out I noticed some would be dangling by the slime strings. I think they may have already been detached

I found my arrow crab today, unmoving and not responding. I moved him a bit and he has not changes position since. I'm hoping that it is just a molt, but with crabs it Is very hard to tell because they arent as translucent as shrimp

Ive noticed growth on my duncan and i think ive seen some on my toadstool
1000003563.jpg

Here's the poor hammer coral, I believe the darker pigmented skin is where the mouth is hiding, entirely inside

I want to do a sniff test but I dare not take it out of the water for even a second

My bta is doing good. I think they look like little watermelons half the time lol

Attachments

• 20240317_141821.jpg
    20240317_141821.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240317_141725.jpg
    20240317_141725.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240317_141750.jpg
    20240317_141750.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alas!
I have found out what my issue is with keeping LPS alive

I'm simply a moron who vastly underestimated their calcium consumption and needs

Been dosing kalkwasser for 3 days now and I'm back up to around 360ppm.

Started dosing magnesium as well. Don't have a test for it yet (coming Tuesday) so

I'm doing small doses but I am def noticing improvements in my gsp coloration as there was basically no green and all pink but now I see the green

OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my calcium back up to normal levels (~420ppm) and am currently going through the mother of all phytoplankton blooms

Gonna let it be as it is because I move next week and my corals seem to love it

If it lasts over a month after I move I might consider a clam of some sort

I couldn't help myself with the recent riptide sale and got a couple frags at a great price :)

They've all opened up except the green people eater zoa but it was open in the bag so it'll probably be open in the next few hours

1000003827.jpg
1000003832.jpg
1000003829.jpg

Look at how green it is!
Also can anyone tell if that is a new head or a hitchhiker on the macromussa?

OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going through a massive phyto bloom and getting towards the end of a 3 day blackout.

I got a refractometer that wasn't calibrated out the box.

I was super confused at first because it said I was way off but when testing with some rodi water it was at where -.02 mightve been

I calibrated it really quick to the rodi water and it was a lot closer to normal. Going to lfs to use theirs to calibrate mine in the morning

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back