Cracked Sump

JustaClown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So I ran into my 1st minor setback with the 150 reboot. Found these two cracks at the bottom of my Trigger Systems 39 about 2 inches from where the return sits. Relentless, 24 hr. vibrations from the return is my biggest concern. It’s a Vectra L1. The cracks do NOT come all the way through but I know there’s no guarantee for the future.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Anyone deal with a related acrylic issue?

IMG_1353.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I would change based off the picture is to remove the electrical cord from out of the sump before you fill it. Wet socket ends are not safe to use, ime.

A picture that clearly shows the cracks of concern could help folks understand what you are looking at but we can’t see from our perspective. ;) :cool:

I have patched a few holes and cracks in acrylic tanks and sumps and they are not that pretty but they do hold water.

For cracks, I use a small plastic drill to intercept the ends of the crack so that the fault line ends in a round finished hole, to prevent the crack from growing along the fault line. Then I use #16 acrylic solvent to place a piece of plastic over the entire crack and let that dry out for a day or two before I fill test the patch outside.

This works fine for cracks in one pane surface but cracks that are in two different faces are not worth the risk of fixing as the possibility of cracking from the corners isn’t a thing I would risk.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Weld on 16 and some patch pieces of acrylic on inside of sump , run a bead on outside on cracks ,should be fine
JME...

OP
OP
JustaClown

JustaClown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I would change based off the picture is to remove the electrical cord from out of the sump before you fill it. Wet socket ends are not safe to use, ime.

A picture that clearly shows the cracks of concern could help folks understand what you are looking at but we can’t see from our perspective. ;) :cool:

I have patched a few holes and cracks in acrylic tanks and sumps and they are not that pretty but they do hold water.

For cracks, I use a small plastic drill to intercept the ends of the crack so that the fault line ends in a round finished hole, to prevent the crack from growing along the fault line. Then I use #16 acrylic solvent to place a piece of plastic over the entire crack and let that dry out for a day or two before I fill test the patch outside.

This works fine for cracks in one pane surface but cracks that are in two different faces are not worth the risk of fixing as the possibility of cracking from the corners isn’t a thing I would risk.
:grinning-face-with-sweat: Much appreciate the insight. Yea, that’s a horrible pic. lol Good idea about the drill… never thought of that.

Just an afterthought…neither crack breached the sump. They’re both “inside” the acrylic, if that makes sense? Definitely gonna place some pieces on the inside to hopefully give it a good seal.
Weld on 16 and some patch pieces of acrylic on inside of sump , run a bead on outside on cracks ,should be fine
JME...
Waiting on Weld-on 16 and some 1/32” acrylic pieces to mount. Thanks so much for the info.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 43.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.5%
Back