Critter/ pest id? On acros and LPS Video attached

vdubers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have noticed these strange critters. Almost look like little flatworms but move like copepods they are dark red towards black to look at under blue lights.

I think they are causing some tissue recession at the base of my acros and my candy cane coral? Or they may not be a pest and the recession is something else.

I am dosing phytoplankton and have noticed an explosion of copepods.

I have attached a picture and video you can see the movement in the first video it’s not sped up so they seem pretty fast.
Thanks

IMG_4177.jpeg IMG_4175.jpeg IMG_4176.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vdubers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planaria / flat worms. Several treatments available but definitely want to treat as they will spread. You can dip your coral for immediate relief.

Thanks so doing some reading it seems they don’t directly harm corals as in eat them? In which case my recession may be something else and I am hoping my wrasses will stop the planaria getting out of control.

I am planning to add a mandarin too soon so fingers crossed that will also help with the planaria. I’m reluctant to use flatworm exit before more research/ exhausting other options.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t directly harm coral but eventually you will have a lot of them. Make sure you take action asap. A few solutions could be
1.natural predators like sixline wrasse, mandarin goby, damsels (I think) and Blue velvet nudibranch.
2) use chemicals, I think salifert has a treatment called flatworm exit or something along those lines

Whatever you do, make sure you do it before problem gets out of hand

OP
OP
V

vdubers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I am going to have a go at the natural way first while I think about the chemical route.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back