Cross-Flow wavemaker settings

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Jebao cross-flow style wavemaker for my standard 90 gallon. It's the SCP-120. What flow settings are recommended? Even at the lowest settings this thing really hums... especially on top. Right now I have mixed with GSP, Xenia, various mushrooms, Cephastrea, Pavona. The goal is to have more SPS at the higher levels of my tank and a few clams.

Starbuxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I have the 120 and 180 but the 180 is just too much flow. I have it pointed upward and have another powerhead on the other side of the tank pointed towards the 'gyre' in order to make the flow collide and randomize in other areas.

AtlanticGail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Jebao cross-flow style wavemaker for my standard 90 gallon. It's the SCP-120. What flow settings are recommended? Even at the lowest settings this thing really hums... especially on top. Right now I have mixed with GSP, Xenia, various mushrooms, Cephastrea, Pavona. The goal is to have more SPS at the higher levels of my tank and a few clams.
So how is the SCP 120 working out for you now. Would you recommend it. Do you find that it's to powerful for a 90 gallon. Sorry for all the questions but I'm looking at getting one or 2 for my 90 gallon.

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how is the SCP 120 working out for you now. Would you recommend it. Do you find that it's to powerful for a 90 gallon. Sorry for all the questions but I'm looking at getting one or 2 for my 90 gallon.
It's actually great. I feel like one is sufficient but I also have 2 smaller Jebao OW 25s that take care of any dead spots. It definitely moves water from top to bottom.

It did feel like too much in the beginning... but people were right. It does slow down a bit as it gets 'dirty'.

AtlanticGail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually great. I feel like one is sufficient but I also have 2 smaller Jebao OW 25s that take care of any dead spots. It definitely moves water from top to bottom.

It did feel like too much in the beginning... but people were right. It does slow down a bit as it gets 'dirty'.
Is it easy to clean

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resist taking it apart! I use a Phillips Avent Bottle Brush, to clean, my go to brush for everything. If it needs a heavy cleaning, an overnight soaking in Citric Acid.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Jebao CP-120 in my 120 Gallon, installed 11-08-22. A Jebao SCP-70 in my 65 Gallon, installed 6-11-23. Both going strong. Did a lot of online research before buying the Jebao’s. Seemed the failure rate was the same across all brands. Also noticed failures came after taking apart for cleaning. Last time I cleaned the 120 was 3-14-23, just brush cleaned. The 70 10-20-23, just brush cleaned, and sprayed off. Love the Night reduced flow setting on the SCP-70

AtlanticGail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Jebao CP-120 in my 120 Gallon, installed 11-08-22. A Jebao SCP-70 in my 65 Gallon, installed 6-11-23. Both going strong. Did a lot of online research before buying the Jebao’s. Seemed the failure rate was the same across all brands. Also noticed failures came after taking apart for cleaning. Last time I cleaned the 120 was 3-14-23, just brush cleaned. The 70 10-20-23, just brush cleaned, and sprayed off. Love the Night reduced flow setting on the SCP-70
Do you find just 1 in your 120 gallon provides enough flow through out your tank. I know all tanks are different and flaw changes as corals grow. I got a 90 gallon and thinking about getting 2 gyres and sync them. Not sure if this will be to much flow.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Jebao CP- 120 is too much for a 2 x 2 x 4 foot tank, if you are using two. I have a fellow Reefer who thinks the SCP isn’t as powerful. But, can’t directly compare them. I think two SCP- 90 Blue Tooth Together would be fine for a 120. BTW, my opinion is you don’t want to have these pumps set too low as it will foul the pumps. Also need to be able to set the pump higher, to blow it out.

AtlanticGail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Jebao CP- 120 is too much for a 2 x 2 x 4 foot tank, if you are using two. I have a fellow Reefer who thinks the SCP isn’t as powerful. But, can’t directly compare them. I think two SCP- 90 Blue Tooth Together would be fine for a 120. BTW, my opinion is you don’t want to have these pumps set too low as it will foul the pumps. Also need to be able to set the pump higher, to blow it out.
The only thing is the SCP-90 is rated for 8mm glass whereas the scp-120 etc is rate for 12mm glass.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back