Cryptic Fuge

mjplumber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only thing I could find with a decent pic and video, just click on the duplex sump video.

Reef Videos

I was thinking about using a jaubert plenum under this setup.
Is anyone else using this or something similar?

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics of your setup? How about a Jaubert plenum system as a DSB with a cryptic zone above it.

I think the flow would be an issue. Everything I've read on DSBs requires a pretty high flow rate across the sand, whereas these evidently require slower or moderate flow, although still not sure exactly what that is.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Paul, are you going to use sponges you've picked up or have you found some type of starter pack somewhere? Anthony C. said something in the refugium thread about flow needing to be high enough to keep debris in suspension like around 20 to 30X turnover. I was hoping he might chime in over here as well.

oops I missed this thread. I was just going to do like Bricky did and put LR on egg crate and hold it up off the bottom but I was going to have more LR. I wasn't necessarily going to get a starter pack but maybe a just a couple individual sponges to start like a red ball, blue ball or some other like a tree sponge. LA carries them. I know RHF over at RC said he doses silicates to feed the sponges. In the 29gallon tank I was going to start with a slow flow like 100gph then bump a little and experiment to see where the debris settle too much.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back