Cube build x2.0

davescrews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this concept in my head for about the last 15 years, of course technology has changed quite a bit since then. For the last 3 years I have been piling equipment up in the garage. Finally it has almost came to fruition. The plan is to have the 93 as a all Montipora sp. tank and the 45 will house a mated pair of Pseudochromis steenei with various gorgonians, sponges and macro algae.

start of the stand and canopy

ghost overflow, external wavebox, some lighting and tank installed

some pics of progress on the external wave box

it is a 20 gallon storage tank tied into the main system with 2 3" bulkheads and a rubber repair coupling. It is powered by a Tunze 6105 with a 6255 front housing, controlled by a 7096 controller

lights on!, custom spectrum 24" xb series buildmyled for actinics and 400w 10k hqi halide

some skin on

semi completed sump

some paint and trim going on

actually in the house

cooling duct for the lights, the inside of the stand and canopy are also coated with sweetwater epoxy paint

plumbing in the works and stand lighting

here is the 45 on it's stand

several pics of the 93 aquascaped and plumbed

the 45 is now tied into the 93 and running, but I'm an enduring some freakish bacterial bloom right now

that's all for now, thanks for looking!

OP
OP
davescrews

davescrews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! The box is a nema rated enclosure found by googling "electronics enclosure" and then sourced it from amazon for the best price. It's working really well so far for hiding and protecting most of the electronics.

OP
OP
davescrews

davescrews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along. Nice build :)

More de tails on electrical box would be interesting :)

The box is the NBA-10176 from BUD Industries NEMA Boxes - UL/NEMA/IEC NBA Series | BudInd

I drilled out the side and bottom to accommodate a cooling fan, cords and ventilation. The panel the the controllers are mounted to is just a piece of 1/4" acrylic that I routered out and painted.

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind how much was the nema box? I can't find prices on their site and I want to do something similar. More pics would be awesone

OP
OP
davescrews

davescrews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind how much was the nema box? I can't find prices on their site and I want to do something similar. More pics would be awesone

Here is the link to the nema enclosure :
http://www.amazon.com/BUD-Industrie...UTF8&qid=1411510363&sr=8-1&keywords=NBA-10176

I'll try to get some new pics up soon, although not much has changed with the system. It is taking an impossibly long time to cycle. I initially had a bizarre bacterial slime bloom that had spiked the TAN right off the charts. Since then I have been doing water changes and dosing every bacterial "quick start" bottle of cr*p I can get my hands on.

OP
OP
davescrews

davescrews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try and get some pic's up tonight. I finally have some livestock of both tanks. The 93 has a pair of Geniacanthus melanopsilos, a Bodianus opercularis, a Chrysiptera starcki, several small monti frags and a couple gorgonians. The pair of Pseudochromis steenei are in the 45 and loving life.

OP
OP
davescrews

davescrews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 45 with the steenei pair.

[video=youtube;vgVNS6fCrm8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgVNS6fCrm8&list=UUjGmgZygIVs6BgJxwi1rU3g[/video]

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back