Cucumber Fish Killing Toxin. My Experience and How To Deal

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up! Having this near by will put my mind at ease a little bit when I get my cowfish :)

OP
OP
Squishie89

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the kind words, I do really appreciate it. And I am glad it is helpful to those of you thinking of keeping some of these potentially dangerous critters.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't imagine the panicky atmosphere of that initial water change. I guess it's good to always have a hospital tank on the ready, as well as enough water for a change so that your corals may survive.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be subscribing to this as well. I am planning on adding a cucumber when I upgrade so any information will be helpful

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Just a thought, would it be better to drip acclimate the fish and corals to acclimate them to the QT tank? Or just put them straight in?
Just netting them and dumping them into new water would add more stress to an already stressed and sick fish but it would get them out quickly. Dripping them would eliminate the acclimation shock possibilities, but that's a much longer time being exposed to the cucumber toxins which is obviously bad too.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back In the 90's I had a 2" sea apple (so cute) get stuck to a filter Intake. My fish were all dead within a couple hours. I think maybe a few lived after I found the Issue and added lots of carbon/changed water. I don't recall, It was a while ago.

Florida reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're absolutely right about being prepared for water changes. Also, quite lucky that you were able to remove the cuke right away. Imagine the losses if it would have stayed in the display all night. My brother came home from work one day to find his reef decimated. Every fish, snail, h. Crab dead. Only the Kenya tree, and the ugliest mushrooms pulled through. He was devastated. After removing all rotting tissue, swishing rocks around and blasting all his sand with a hose attached to a power head, he did a handful of 100% water changes (flushes). Everything still kept dying. He pulled the rocks and started over, damsels kept dying. In the end he had to start over completely! Sand, rock, fish and coral. Tough lesson there, but one I'll never forget. Imho, just say no to cukes.

ben10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the same for sea hares as well? I have heard the same thing of them as well.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back