Culture your own Phytoplankton!

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6. after a week, split the culture into new 'sterlized' flasks (ro/di h2o and rubbing alcohol), now I have 4 flasks going

What ratio of ro/di h20 to rubbing alcohol are you using? Any reason for using ro/di h20 vs. tap water?

bfishb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 2 1/2 gallon water jugs from Walmart. I put the phyto in the container, added freshly made saltwater at 1.019 and got my phyto growing. This may be bad, but once a week I add miracle grow and marine essential from Kent. During the week as I take phyto out, I put fresh saltwater in. 16 hours of light a day. I havent cleaned or moved a jug since I started. Maybe I'm playing with fire, but if used a ton it.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 2 1/2 gallon water jugs from Walmart. I put the phyto in the container, added freshly made saltwater at 1.019 and got my phyto growing. This may be bad, but once a week I add miracle grow and marine essential from Kent. During the week as I take phyto out, I put fresh saltwater in. 16 hours of light a day. I havent cleaned or moved a jug since I started. Maybe I'm playing with fire, but if used a ton it.
sounds to me like you're doing just fine.

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing back an older thread. I’m attempting my first culture of nanno and tetra in separate containers. I’ve sterilized the containers and rigid tubing.

When adding saltwater, can you use 1.026 or does it need to be lower like 1.020 like I’ve read. Also, when making the saltwater, should I sterilize the bucket I’m making the saltwater in?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 30.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back