Culturing Copepods From Home

j.register3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Curious if anyone has any experience culturing their own copepods?

My question is, how do you control nitrates & ammonia from copepod waste? Is a bi-weekly harvesting/water change enough to replenish & keep the colony alive?

Any/all advice & experience welcome! Thanks in advance :)

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get away with monthly and many say every few months. They are very hardy but it is best to not disturb the bottom sediment too much.

OP
OP
j.register3

j.register3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in doing this. What kind of setup do u all have?

It’s very simple. A one gallon jar, an extra refugium light I had lying around, a small air pump with a knot tied in it to let about two bubbles of air a second, fresh mixed saltwater, a jar of copepods, & feed phytoplankton. Change 7-14 days.

7F4B84DA-1E24-4CDC-8625-35660763AE12.jpeg

Ronnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what I got with a black water line from Home Depot for the air line. I'm @ work when I get home I will show you my setup later.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the poseidon reef systems setup. Very simple. Get tons of copepods weekly, takes 10 mins to harvest.

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a 1-2 gallon glass container from IKEA with an or line. I’m culturing phyto so food is good and I started with a tiny (and expensive) bottle of pods and after only a week or so they seem to be reproducing like crazy!

I just started this and have a question about cleaning detritus out. How do I do it without taking pods with it? I Don’t want to throw out any pods. I know someone posted above not to disturb it but won’t it increase the ammonia If it isn’t removed?

OP
OP
j.register3

j.register3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a 1-2 gallon glass container from IKEA with an or line. I’m culturing phyto so food is good and I started with a tiny (and expensive) bottle of pods and after only a week or so they seem to be reproducing like crazy!

I just started this and have a question about cleaning detritus out. How do I do it without taking pods with it? I Don’t want to throw out any pods. I know someone posted above not to disturb it but won’t it increase the ammonia If it isn’t removed?
Pour out through a coffee strainer or like a 500 micron sifter then reculture the pods to keep it going & feed the excess to your fish!

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I might be over thinking this a bit.

Another question about water changes. I got one on those ammonia gauges for the container. And I’m trying to keep it in the safe zone. Is it okay if the ammonia is a bit higher than what would be acceptable in our tanks?

OP
OP
j.register3

j.register3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I might be over thinking this a bit.

Another question about water changes. I got one on those ammonia gauges for the container. And I’m trying to keep it in the safe zone. Is it okay if the ammonia is a bit higher than what would be acceptable in our tanks?
Not 100% sure on that. What I do know is that the pods are a lot more hardy than corals or fish. I saw a set up that was about 25 jars full with a few lights that was running great, no air pump! I know she said she harvests once every 2 weeks, so I can’t imagine the ammonia would rise to kill a colony of pods in 2 weeks (no air pump mind you). Not sure how much this helps as I am new to this as well.

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 100% sure on that. What I do know is that the pods are a lot more hardy than corals or fish. I saw a set up that was about 25 jars full with a few lights that was running great, no air pump! I know she said she harvests once every 2 weeks, so I can’t imagine the ammonia would rise to kill a colony of pods in 2 weeks (no air pump mind you). Not sure how much this helps as I am new to this as well.

Appreciate the info. It is helpful. I hope I haven’t hijacked your thread as I know you are looking for some help too.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them growing in a big jug with an air line and many small containers without air lines. No difference noted. I have some in light and some without light, no difference noted.
I use live phytoplankton. The hope was for the phyto to reproduce in the light and be self feeding to the pods but the pods multiply to fast for me to do that.

Back