Curing reef saver rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question I know.. do I need to cure BRS reef saver rock? It seems pretty clean and I know that’s the point. Before I go ahead and either cure it or cycle it I wanted to ask if it’s necessary. Or am I just doing an extra step curing it when I could just cycle it. Anyone have experience or input?

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Saver is pretty clean rock, but we generally recommend curing any rock going into a system with livestock. On the other hand, if this is a new tank with no critters, you could very well give the rock a good rinse and then cycle/cure it at the same time in the display.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine. No curing needed . Look at my build tread. I did prep my rock for my tank with bacteria.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your putting a large amount of the rock in a matured tank be ready for diatom and cyno bloom. I decided to convert mixed tank to all SPS and I didn’t cure several pounds of new rock to replace rock with green star polyps, ect on them. Haven’t have a diatom or cyno issue for 8 years and now been batting for 5 months now.

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 100 lbs of this rock in my 120 gallon reef tank. I let the rock sit out in the rain for a night, then placed it in the tank. No issues. BRS is correct when they say this rock needs no elaborate prep.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you got lucky. And by the way, BRS does not say the rock does not need any prep. They recommend a full cure.

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS salesman pitched it to me as non-prep rock, and that’s what clinched my purchase - besides the fact that it was on sale. Maybe we could ask BRS for the definitive word on their Reed Saver Rock.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for fun I had 2 big rocks left of reef saver, placed in a bucket of RODI water for 24 hour with a pump. Dumped the water, rinsed the rock and refilled with RODI for another 24 hours. Here is my phosphate test. Higher than can be tested. Anyone who believes any rock should not be cured in some way is wrong. Even clean rock will have loads of phosphate in the rock. Don’t put directly in your tanks unless it’s a very small peice and your system is matured well.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the test results

52C43117-1BC2-4F3F-9B3D-5ADF3918F7C9.jpeg

CE4A25EE-6D20-4480-B457-7542A5486872.jpeg

Cyricdark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the test results

52C43117-1BC2-4F3F-9B3D-5ADF3918F7C9.jpeg

CE4A25EE-6D20-4480-B457-7542A5486872.jpeg
Are you using a freshwater color card or the saltwater one? I know on the two phosphate test that I have the freshwater goes way darker for the same readings then saltwater does, regardless your ride has a lot of phosphates but it might not be off the charts so to speak.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Salifert that works with both. Same color card. regardless Off the chart or not my point is folks need to understand reefsaver or not, rock should not be considered ready to just dump in a tank. Unless you don’t mind growing alge, diatoms.

Cyricdark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Salifert that works with both. Same color card. regardless Off the chart or not my point is folks need to understand reefsaver or not, rock should not be considered ready to just dump in a tank. Unless you don’t mind growing alge, diatoms.
I'm sure you're right on a tank that normally has low phosphates or no phosphate. I've personally stuck pieces of it in my tank off and on as I replace rocks for various reasons and never seen a difference but I haven't tested for phosphates in 2 years I got tired of fighting to keep them low. Once I stopped with all the water changes and then gfo and all that stuff and just let the tank cruise stable all my problems that I thought were phosphates just went away. I would say if I would test right now my phosphate you're probably already off the charts lol so a little 5 to 10 PPM bump from a few rocks ain't going to make much difference.

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treat that rock during the cycle. I could make the cycle a bit longer, but it is much safer than live rock. I used some kind of bacteria booster. I believed my tanked cycled after 2.5 weeks with 1 clown fish also. I have another tank cycle with cured live rock from LFS. the cycle was much faster but end up with some kind of hitchhiker which gave me a hard time

OP
OP
Reef Jedi

Reef Jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Saver is pretty clean rock, but we generally recommend curing any rock going into a system with livestock. On the other hand, if this is a new tank with no critters, you could very well give the rock a good rinse and then cycle/cure it at the same time in the display.

Thanks for the input! I gave it a good rinse with RO and let dry. I’m tearing down the dt and upgrading. At the same time I’m starting fresh with all new tank, piping to the basement, sump, rock, sand, basically all new. I just created some fresh salt and threw the reef saver rock in a brute can to start curing. I have a lid on it to prevent alge issues so early on. I plan on curing it till I get a phosphate drop after rise. Then cycling after. This gives me time to tear down the dt and get everything set up again. I know I’ll get a cycle when I add sand and set up the new dt. But hopefully it won’t be as long of a process by curing and cycling out of main dt. Thanks for the info! Love BRS.

OP
OP
Reef Jedi

Reef Jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for fun I had 2 big rocks left of reef saver, placed in a bucket of RODI water for 24 hour with a pump. Dumped the water, rinsed the rock and refilled with RODI for another 24 hours. Here is my phosphate test. Higher than can be tested. Anyone who believes any rock should not be cured in some way is wrong. Even clean rock will have loads of phosphate in the rock. Don’t put directly in your tanks unless it’s a very small peice and your system is matured well.

Thanks for the heads up! I figure I’d cure it either way. Just started that process yesterday. How often did you test for phosphates? I have a Hannah checker for low range phosphates I can use. Or red seas kit if I need as well.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question I know.. do I need to cure BRS reef saver rock? It seems pretty clean and I know that’s the point. Before I go ahead and either cure it or cycle it I wanted to ask if it’s necessary. Or am I just doing an extra step curing it when I could just cycle it. Anyone have experience or input?
Its so easy to just place the rock in a bucket with your saltwater mix a heater and airstone. Let it sit for a few days and test. If you are happy then put it into the tank. If not then let it cure in the bucket. Getting things right before you add them to your tank can save a lot of headaches later.

OP
OP
Reef Jedi

Reef Jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its so easy to just place the rock in a bucket with your saltwater mix a heater and airstone. Let it sit for a few days and test. If you are happy then put it into the tank. If not then let it cure in the bucket. Getting things right before you add them to your tank can save a lot of headaches later.

Thanks for the solid advise. I’ve watched the BRS video on curing. But I’m still confused if I need a light source over the rock. I’d like to avoid adding any light if possible to absolutely cut down on alge issues with the phosphate swings. If I seed bacteria is it a necessary thing? Also how long can I potentially leave it in the bucket?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back