Cyano or Algae

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

I have an issue with either an algae or cyano problem. My tank is 10 odd years old. I have an Apex and things seem to be fine for the main parameters. Nitrate is zero Phosphate a little higher 0.04. I’m running NOPOX and as well as triton.

I did have a red cyano problem early last year and used an antibiotic to clean it which did a great job. As you can see from the picture it is all over the back wall and now clogging up the rocks. I am assuming it’s a type of cyano not hair algae.

I have tried the usual suggestions of regular water changes etc but was wondering if anyone else had something I have missed.

Any help greatly appreciate.

Adrian

IMG_3834.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

I have an issue with either an algae or cyano problem. My tank is 10 odd years old. I have an Apex and things seem to be fine for the main parameters. Nitrate is zero Phosphate a little higher 0.04. I’m running NOPOX and as well as triton.

I did have a red cyano problem early last year and used an antibiotic to clean it which did a great job. As you can see from the picture it is all over the back wall and now clogging up the rocks. I am assuming it’s a type of cyano not hair algae.

I have tried the usual suggestions of regular water changes etc but was wondering if anyone else had something I have missed.

Any help greatly appreciate.

Adrian

IMG_3834.jpeg
Picture is not clear enough to make a guess.

Just wondering, why does NOPOX with zero nitrates, or did I misunderstand?

OP
OP
C

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture is not clear enough to make a guess.

Just wondering, why does NOPOX with zero nitrates, or did I misunderstand?
I am running NOPOX and the Nitrates are Zero. Concerned of lowering NOPOX dose in case the phosphates rise. Are these photos clearer.

Attachments

• IMG_3837.jpeg
    IMG_3837.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3836.jpeg
    IMG_3836.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
C

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it was hair algae I have similar in my sump under grow lamps ,zero no3 is not a good thing you may end up with dinos /starving corals .
If it is hair Algae, would that be the reason I am getting such low Phosphate and Nitrate reading as it is using it up. I have thought of turning the lights off for 3/4 days. Should I turn off the Nopox for a while as well?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running NOPOX and the Nitrates are Zero. Concerned of lowering NOPOX dose in case the phosphates rise. Are these photos clearer.
Thank you for the clearer pictures. Looks like hair algae.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried manual removal and some scheduled maintenance? Decide to stay on a routine for 2 or 3 weeks of cleaning the tank at set intervals with 10% water changes every few days. You can siphon out the junk you scrape off the walls and rocks when you change out the water.

Mmonk005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is hair Algae, would that be the reason I am getting such low Phosphate and Nitrate reading as it is using it up. I have thought of turning the lights off for 3/4 days. Should I turn off the Nopox for a while as well?
I have the same question. I’ve been battling hair algae for a while now. Finally got a Hanna nitrate HR checker and it was 0.0. Hanna phosphate LR was 0.09. How do I have hair algae with no nitrates and low phosphates?

OP
OP
C

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same question. I’ve been battling hair algae for a while now. Finally got a Hanna nitrate HR checker and it was 0.0. Hanna phosphate LR was 0.09. How do I have hair algae with no nitrates and low phosphates?
I have turned off my NOPOX and it continues to be 0 Nitrate and 0.04 phosphate. I have cleaned a lot of it and although still there. It is definitely coming back slower. I’ve also started to add some Red Sea AB to feed the corals. Will let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
C

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nopox is still off, and the Nitrates remain zero, with Phosphates at 0.04. The hair algae continues to be a problem. Can anyone shed any light as to why there is an algae issue with the phosphate so low?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nopox is still off, and the Nitrates remain zero, with Phosphates at 0.04. The hair algae continues to be a problem. Can anyone shed any light as to why there is an algae issue with the phosphate so low?
the algae is consuming the N and P to grow. Have you considered an algae turf scrubber? This will allow you to grow the algae in a controlled environment that you can harvest and remove regularly.

1709834417095.png

OP
OP
C

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t really buy alga scrubbers in the uk but I do spend lots of time in the states so can get hold of one. Anyone got a view whether a macro algae chamber would work, lots of them available in UK? I’m the worst handyman this side of Timbuktu so I think I would have to buy one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back