Cyano wont go away

ZiggyZoas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been I the hobby about 7 years, and I've always had success when with a more natural approach. Whenever Ive had these issues it's usually because something is off with the beneficial bacteria to cyano/dino population balance.

It sounds like you have a lot of good advice so my 2 cents, but I'd do a 50% water change, with a small siphon tube to remove as much of the nuisance as possible manually. I'd then add a bacteria culture (I like microbacter7 but there are a bunch of good ones) and if you can find it live zooplankton cultures. This will help try to outcompetes the nuisance algae, which yours does look like cyanobacteria. (Careful with the zoo plankton, it can lead to hair algae if you overdose, although Id rather deal with hair algae over slime algae)

I got this advice from WWC in Orlando when I lived there and it always worked well for me when my tank was off.

Good Luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've been I the hobby about 7 years, and I've always had success when with a more natural approach. Whenever Ive had these issues it's usually because something is off with the beneficial bacteria to cyano/dino population balance.

It sounds like you have a lot of good advice so my 2 cents, but I'd do a 50% water change, with a small siphon tube to remove as much of the nuisance as possible manually. I'd then add a bacteria culture (I like microbacter7 but there are a bunch of good ones) and if you can find it live zooplankton cultures. This will help try to outcompetes the nuisance algae, which yours does look like cyanobacteria. (Careful with the zoo plankton, it can lead to hair algae if you overdose, although Id rather deal with hair algae over slime algae)

I got this advice from WWC in Orlando when I lived there and it always worked well for me when my tank was off.

Good Luck!
Agree. Dosing phosphates will in essence feed the cells associated with dino

OP
OP
C

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good Luck!
Thanks alot for the reply

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't just blow off the cyano. With that much growth you should siphon as much cyano off the rocks as possible with a hose. Then siphon off the cyano from the sand. That will inevitably result in sucking up the top layer of sand. Rinse that sand and put it back into the tank. I dealt with a massive cyano outbreak a few months ago but it only grew in thick mats in my sand. I did two rounds of sand siphoning and rinse over the course of 5 days or so and that solved the issue for me.

During the cyano outbreak I was in process of reducing feeding and dosing bacteria every day.

OP
OP
C

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't just blow off the cyano. With that much growth you should siphon as much cyano off the rocks as possible with a hose. Then siphon off the cyano from the sand. That will inevitably result in sucking up the top layer of sand. Rinse that sand and put it back into the tank. I dealt with a massive cyano outbreak a few months ago but it only grew in thick mats in my sand. I did two rounds of sand siphoning and rinse over the course of 5 days or so and that solved the issue for me.

During the cyano outbreak I was in process of reducing feeding and dosing bacteria every day.
Thanks for your help what do I rinse the sand off with before it goes back in my tank saltwater?

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tried it twice did absolutely nothing
Then it's likely not cyano. Have you taken a sample and put it under a microscope? They are cheap on amazon.

Looking at the pic it does look like cyano to me however, some dino looks like cyano too, so, best to scope it. I can ensure you chemiclean works. Also, you may need 2-3 treatments of chemiclean to get it to work if it's really bad.

I disagree with the above about dosing phosphates, that's mostly best for established tanks. Have you fed more? Feed some pellets/flakes, that will naturally increase po4.

I have some experience in this arena, I dealt with dino/cyano/etc for two straight years. I followed a lot of the advice above and none of it worked lol. So what did work? UV sterilizer - killed all dino and some algae. This allowed the tank to balance no3/po4 (along with time, lots of time). Then chemiclean took out the cyano. Then a good CUC to munch down. Lastly, I bought an ATS which took most if not all of the algae out of the tank and put it in the ATS.

Things that didn't work-
hydrogen peroxide
turning down lights
a series of black outs
nitrate and po4 dosing
bacteria dosing
water changes
vibrant (f.m.l)
other snake oil

I did recently have some cyano creep up and all my params were in balance, it happens, chemiclean took it out.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back