cycled tank

EvanStorzuk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went and picked up my first fish, i have a coral in another tank and i was waiting to put him in my big one while it cycled. my nitrate is at 20ppm. the guy at my lfs says that 20ppm nitrate is good and i shouldnt do a water change. but the people ive talked to on this forum suggest it. i believe my coral is a yuma but i honestly have no clue. i only have one light is the problem, so should i move my coral and turn on my light? or just put my fish in with no light while i find another one.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went and picked up my first fish, i have a coral in another tank and i was waiting to put him in my big one while it cycled. my nitrate is at 20ppm. the guy at my lfs says that 20ppm nitrate is good and i shouldnt do a water change. but the people ive talked to on this forum suggest it. i believe my coral is a yuma but i honestly have no clue. i only have one light is the problem, so should i move my coral and turn on my light? or just put my fish in with no light while i find another one.
You can do a water change if you want but I wouldn’t say it’s necessary. Nitrate isn’t as important as ammonia is so make sure your ammonia is at 0ppm.

I would put the fish in with no light for now and get a par meter so you know where to put your light height and coral, then swap your coral over.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That nitrate level does not mean anything. If you have nitrites, then the nitrate test kit will show nitrates when you don't have any - the no2 interferes with the no3 test kit. Don't do any water changes.

It probably does not matter at all. Move them if you want, and the light. Feed smartly and slowly. You are not cycled - as in done. Your tank can likely handle a small amount of fish waste as it get more breath and depth in the cycle.

As long as you keep that other tank running, you have a fallback, right?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back