Cycling dry rock

M1ke13579

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im currently extremely confused i have been cycling dry rock in a bin using bottled bacteria till i had my tank set up and ready to go and initially did tests watching the ammonia go down and the nitrites go up it has been running for about a month now and i just did a test and my ammonia was around 0.2 and the nitrates at 2 but the nitrites are now through the roof around 1 did i do something wrong what should i do to fix this?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do anything. It's probably a testing error and reading error since there is no reason for that to spike if you didn't add anything.

OP
OP
M

M1ke13579

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do anything. It's probably a testing error and reading error since there is no reason for that to spike if you didn't add anything.
im kinda still new to the hobby but from my understanding of the cycling process it just seems like the nitrites should have been low and nitrates much higher, with that being said in your opinion you think its should be fine to get the rocks in the tank once i get the water mixed to get it all set up?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im kinda still new to the hobby but from my understanding of the cycling process it just seems like the nitrites should have been low and nitrates much higher, with that being said in your opinion you think its should be fine to get the rocks in the tank once i get the water mixed to get it all set up?

Yeah I think you are good to go. I usually add another tiny bottle of bacteria in with the fish to ease my anxiety but it's probably fine lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back