Cycling question

awa22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I will soon be purchasing the water box Infinia 125 (~100g) in June.
I do already have 45lbs of dry marco rock. I have a 20g frag tank that I am planning to put most the marco rock into and get it cycling with microbacter start and quick cycl. I will then continue to dose with MB7 for the next 2-3 months. When I do set up the new tank and transfer this rock, would it be necessary to run another cycle of MB start and MB cycl? Or just continue with the MB7 for another few weeks before adding fish?
Thanks!

Thanks!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I will soon be purchasing the water box Infinia 125 (~100g) in June.
I do already have 45lbs of dry marco rock. I have a 20g frag tank that I am planning to put most the marco rock into and get it cycling with microbacter start and quick cycl. I will then continue to dose with MB7 for the next 2-3 months. When I do set up the new tank and transfer this rock, would it be necessary to run another cycle of MB start and MB cycl? Or just continue with the MB7 for another few weeks before adding fish?
Thanks!

Thanks!
MB cycle is for freshwater, right?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use fritz turbo start 900, dont forget to add a small bit of fish food or raw shrimp for the bacteria to feed on the ammonia or the bacteria wont work.

Might be an idea to bleach the rock first or use some other method to rid the marco rock of organics and po4 as in my experience if you don’t the rock will leach po4 when you add it to your tank…not totally necessary but if I was using that rock again I would do it.

OP
OP
A

awa22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use fritz turbo start 900, dont forget to add a small bit of fish food or raw shrimp for the bacteria to feed on the ammonia or the bacteria wont work.

Might be an idea to bleach the rock first or use some other method to rid the marco rock of organics and po4 as in my experience if you don’t the rock will leach po4 when you add it to your tank…not totally necessary but if I was using that rock again I would do it.
Yes I am planning to add the bacteria to seed the rock in the 20g frag tank. I’m just curious if I would need to do that again when I set up the the new tank and transfer that rock over?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am planning to add the bacteria to seed the rock in the 20g frag tank. I’m just curious if I would need to do that again when I set up the the new tank and transfer that rock over?
Yes I would, especially if you want to add fish soon after setting up the tank, just add a bottle of fritz on the day you add a couple of fish.

Bacteria will only cover the rock if you cycle the rock in a different tub, when adding to the tank, the tank will not have any bacteria on it, or the sand and all other surfaces, if you wait a couple of weeks the bacteria will spread but if you want to cycle the rock, then add to the tank at the same time as a couple of fish, add a bottle of fritz, will save you waiting.

Not sure if your reply shows you understood what I was saying in my first post…I was saying you need to add an ammonia source for the bacteria to breed, you replied saying “yes you were planning on adding bacteria”.

OP
OP
A

awa22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would, especially if you want to add fish soon after setting up the tank, just add a bottle of fritz on the day you add a couple of fish.

Bacteria will only cover the rock if you cycle the rock in a different tub, when adding to the tank, the tank will not have any bacteria on it, or the sand and all other surfaces, if you wait a couple of weeks the bacteria will spread but if you want to cycle the rock, then add to the tank at the same time as a couple of fish, add a bottle of fritz, will save you waiting.

Not sure if your reply shows you understood what I was saying in my first post…I was saying you need to add an ammonia source for the bacteria to breed, you replied saying “yes you were planning on adding bacteria”.
Great info. I appreciate it!
And yes I am planning to add MB quick cycl as the ammonia source

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to BRS, it can be used for both freshwater and saltwater
Research demonstrates that freshwater bacteria have a very low rate of survival and subsequent propagation in saltwater. Research thread.
FTS 900 is good for a quick start but does not provide the most diverse population of bacteria.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research demonstrates that freshwater bacteria have a very low rate of survival and subsequent propagation in saltwater. Research thread.

FTS 900 is good for a quick start but does not provide the most diverse population of bacteria.
Has more than MB7…which would you recommend if not MB7 or Fritz which is probably the leading bottle bacteria.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back