Cycling: water change or leave it be?

fotuskyt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On day 8 of Dr Tim’s fishless cycle with one and only and ammonium chloride in an IM Nuvo 15. Set up is mostly 15lbs dry rock and dry aragonite with maybe 5lbs of live rock from my 20gal so not starting with a large established bacterial population. followed the chart but only dosed the chloride once (on day one) because it has yet to drop below 5ppm to dose again which has me wondering if I dosed incorrectly? (I did 60 drops for 15gal) I’m also reading conflicting information about “cycle stalling.” Not trying to rush the process by any means, just wanna know what I should do whether that’s a water change to get ammonia down to around 2ppm or add more bottle bac and leave it be?

Current parameters
PH: 8
Ammonia: in between 4 and 8ppm (using API, I know not the best but I’m going to the LFS tomorrow to get an accurate reading)
Nitrite: .25 ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I would not do a water change. I’ve not used Dr Tim’s but straight ammonia. I believe the consensus is to not change water during your cycle.

That being said, evaluate the dosage for Dr Tim’s and make sure you didn’t go ballistic with the ammonia. If so then maybe you should bring it down.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back