user17482

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I was considering getting a Firewalker Cyphastrea coral. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with any Cyphastrea coral, It would be appreciated if you would send tips, perimeters and where you keep it in the tank. I have heard online they are generally easy to keep. If you have any information about this coral please let me know! thank you!

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re popular here, and hardy. They shouldn’t be a problem if you’re already keeping similar corals.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine, I keep it out of direct light in my mixed tank. Keep my alk around 9, Sal at 35, Calc at 420, mag at 1300, nitrates 15-20, phosphates .09.
20231010_163219.jpg

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a “meteor shower” cyphastrea. When I first got it, it browned a lot from ~80 PAR. I moved it to a medium flow with ~40 PAR and coloration came back and has been growing fast. The bigger it gets = the faster it grows!

OP
OP
U

user17482

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a “meteor shower” cyphastrea. When I first got it, it browned a lot from ~80 PAR. I moved it to a medium flow with ~40 PAR and coloration came back and has been growing fast. The bigger it gets = the faster it grows!
Would you consider this coral to be a coral kept near the sand?

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you consider this coral to be a coral kept near the sand?
I think the bottom of your rockwork would be great (low PAR). However I wouldn’t keep it somewhere it’s going to get covered by sand via sand sifting goby etc. the Polyps aren’t able to retract in a way that removes sand from the polyps

OP
OP
U

user17482

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting me know I think I have a generally good spot , or I might keep it on its own rock to display it! I have had the aquarium for 3 years but recently crashed when moving it. Do you think that 4+ months of the reef tank running would be good for this coral?

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting me know I think I have a generally good spot , or I might keep it on its own rock to display it! I have had the aquarium for 3 years but recently crashed when moving it. Do you think that 4+ months of the reef tank running would be good for this coral?
If there's coral alive in it then hell yeah! Of course avoid alk swings and Sal swings but I wouldn't think twice about getting it in there.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to get it down with water change just changed my salt hopefully something will change ( weekly 15% change )
Reef crystals? I just got a batch of it that's mixing high alk and calc. Herd the blue bucket red sea is good stuff. Once you get it close to 460 I'd let it ride and it'll come down slowly

OP
OP
U

user17482

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's coral alive in it then hell yeah! Of course avoid alk swings and Sal swings but I wouldn't think twice about getting it in there.
So far everything has been thriving like my torches blasto's hammers chalice! And my Alk has remained at 9.3 - 9.2 and salinity is 1.025

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bottom of your rockwork would be great (low PAR). However I wouldn’t keep it somewhere it’s going to get covered by sand via sand sifting goby etc. the Polyps aren’t able to retract in a way that removes sand from the polyps
Here’s a photo I just grabbed of my cyphastrea location. Lights are mostly out, but you can see it’s just elevated above the sand

Attachments

• IMG_7436.jpeg
    IMG_7436.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 56

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back