Damsel aggression diversion in 20g

taytay_1119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g with a talbot damsel who I think is maturing and turning out to be an butt (yes I know who woulda thunk). It’s starting to kind of target my bar goby when it’s swimming near his rocks. I was wondering if there’s a fish I could add to disperse the aggression perhaps like a royal gramma, 6 line, clown, etc. Tank inhabitants are the talbot, a neon goby, bar goby, two hermits, nass, turbo, trochus. Has plenty of pods if a wrasse is ok.

IMG_5769.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5673.mov
    9.9 MB

Baby Damsel 219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem, I have a more aggressive damselfish, it's the 3 striped dasmelfish. I solved this problem by moving around the rocks and rearranging their terriotoys. this tabolt will turn sweet after this.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of it. They are demon fish! LOL. I cycled my first tank with a couple damsels when I was new to the hobby. You can try to rearrange as suggested, but I could never get mine to behave and lost several fish to their bullying before I finally caught them and returned to LFS.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g with a talbot damsel who I think is maturing and turning out to be an butt (yes I know who woulda thunk). It’s starting to kind of target my bar goby when it’s swimming near his rocks. I was wondering if there’s a fish I could add to disperse the aggression perhaps like a royal gramma, 6 line, clown, etc. Tank inhabitants are the talbot, a neon goby, bar goby, two hermits, nass, turbo, trochus. Has plenty of pods if a wrasse is ok.

IMG_5769.jpeg

Can you define what target the goby means? Is there fighting, torn and ripped fins? Or is it just saying hey my area stay away? Two different things.

Adding another fish to try and disperse aggression doesn't make any sense. Especially since one on your list is a six line wrasse. Your display based on the picture doesn't have enough rock for it to forage and it would be aggressive. Do a few searches on Six Line and you will get the idea. Not worth it in a tank of your size and reef displacement.

I would examine if there is actual fighting with damage vs this is my spot. You could also try a mirror.

OP
OP
taytay_1119

taytay_1119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem, I have a more aggressive damselfish, it's the 3 striped dasmelfish. I solved this problem by moving around the rocks and rearranging their terriotoys. this tabolt will turn sweet after this.
He ended up flipping one rock around to switch the scape up some and also add one more feeding in the day. I haven’t been home to observe anything bc I’ve been in physio rehab but he says it’s been better.

OP
OP
taytay_1119

taytay_1119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you define what target the goby means? Is there fighting, torn and ripped fins? Or is it just saying hey my area stay away? Two different things.

Adding another fish to try and disperse aggression doesn't make any sense. Especially since one on your list is a six line wrasse. Your display based on the picture doesn't have enough rock for it to forage and it would be aggressive. Do a few searches on Six Line and you will get the idea. Not worth it in a tank of your size and reef displacement.

I would examine if there is actual fighting with damage vs this is my spot. You could also try a mirror.

I’m not sure exactly as I’m not home ATM but before the accident he would kinda chase the bar goby and the bar goby would just hide in his cave on the opposite side of the tank until feeding time. Before they would all hang out together near the gobies caves not sure what changed maybe the Talbot aging. And by adding another fish we thought it would maybe kinda take the weight off of the gobies since they are so peaceful. I wanna say it’s more so territorial aggression so hopefully the changing scape and additional feeding will kinda change its temper. Seems to be working so far. If that’s doesn’t seem to work we might add mirror or just try to take it to lfs/swap on locals.

OP
OP
taytay_1119

taytay_1119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now he kinda hides under the torches and will swim around the big rock. The gobies are on the far left side between the glass and rock. Their cave system is under that one rock.

Attachments

• IMG_0105.jpeg
    IMG_0105.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0109.jpeg
    IMG_0109.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 5

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 173 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.0%
Back