dehydrating and re hydrating fresh food?

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so has anyone dehydrated fresh food like shrimp and mussels. then rehyrdated them in a vit-c or other solutions, like selcon and entice? im wondering if the semi-dehyrated food work soak it all up. if it did then i could freeze it at that point and use for later.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago I made my own food mix. I got bags of live brine shrimp, Spirulina, freeze dried shrimps (stinks, imo) and added Selcon and other fish food stuffs (that were available when I was in the kitchen) and mixed them all up and put them in tiny ice cube trays that I froze for later feeding. I would toss the cubes in whole so that the fish would have a popsicle-like food ball to take bites out of. Those freeze dried shrimp were not really very absorbent, perhaps because of their exoskeletons tending to repel water. They would float in the tank if dropped in whole.

200.gif
:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
The ideal way would be to get live shrimp to gut load before freezing but unless you fish for it yourself I don't think live shrimp or plankton items are generally available. I was working on a boat and at night I could dip net these things from the lighted areas around the boat. Stuff would come swarming to the surface being attracted by the lights. After a few hours the squid would come up to feed under the lights on the planktonic smorgasbord that would gather. Sometimes I jigged a few of them for chopping for fish food (and for fish bait).

So for your question, some would be wicked up into the food but most would thaw and disperse before it was injested, imo. :cool:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back