Diatom filter for treating external parasites?

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to try and cover all bases here. The Only carrier of Ich I know of are Anemones. @calore In part you are right. But if you don't have Any outbreaks than a disease in one's environment is a mood point overall. Think about all the diseases in our environment, you never contracted. The point I'm making here is That the Need for a DE depends on YOUR tank. Yes??

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had diatom filters from the 60s and have an assortment of them in varying degrees of disassembly and re-designing. I could not have my reef without a diatom filter as I use it once a year for maintenance. I also get quite a lot of fish for practically free because they are covered in parasites and the store owner knows they will die. I cure them in a tank with copper/formalin and a diatom filter. It works in no time and am surprised very few people do this. Of course a diatom filter, or any filter will not remove every parasite, but if you were in a small salt water lake surrounded by 20, hungry Great White Sharks and someone wanted to install a filter that would remove 19 of those sharks would you say, Oh no, that would still leave one Great White Shark so I would still be in danger, or would you say something like, "What are you waiting for, get that sucker started".
I know what I would say and it wouldn't be "Happy Birthday".

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there are many of us who haven't lapsed some in husbandry at one point or another

Trouble is, I think a lot of people who believe their tanks to be ich free are mistaken - their fish are simply asymptomatic and have either built up resistance or are inherently resistant. The only way to know for sure is to introduce a fish that Is highly susceptible and see what transpires. I know my tank has ich, therefore, it would be a candidate for a DE filter. If you know your tank to be ich free, then no need to run one.

And that is exactly what they do at large public aquariums...They breed live-bearing freshwater fish that are then aclimated to salt. These are placed in a net enclosure - to prevent their escape and/ot to prevent them from being eaten - and are placed into the tank under suspicion for parasite infestation. These are then removed - sedated and examined for the determination of the presence and tpye of parasites. From there decisions can be made for the best course action.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home for lunch - time for a quick reply.

Your assumption is incorrect. DE doesn't have to eliminate all free swimmers. All I have to do is ensure that less than 0.5% find a fish and make it back to the sandbed before they are removed, killed or naturally die

If I do this, extinction follows. The tank and fish become free of the parasite.

I am only asking questions at this point, not making any assumptions.

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of irrelevant because it's not like the free swimmers are traveling directly into the DE's intake. Let's use velvet as an example. When a velvet tomont ruptures - there can be hundreds of velvet tomonts - it releases around 200 dinospores (free swimmers seeking to infect fish) per tomont. So even just 100 tomonts are capable of producing 20,000 dinospores. Being these are dinoflagellates, they are naturally attracted to light, so they swim upwards using two flagella to propel themselves. They don't just float around waiting to land on a fish.

Even if one was to outfit an overflow box to use with the DE, siphoning dinospores off the surface of the water, there is still a high probability that at least some will come into contact with fish swimming around before the dinospores reach the surface of the water. Now, I can see how a diatom is much more effective at managing diseases than say a UV; due to it's impressive flow rate. I'll even concede that it may be the only thing capable of managing velvet. But the health & well-being of all your fish will forever be dependent upon this one piece of equipment. If a fish housed in an aquarium which utilizes a DE is ever removed and placed in a "non DE system" the few parasites they are still carrying will quickly reproduce and spiral out of control. Or what happens during a prolonged power outage or if the DE breaks?

However, all that being said, I am starting to see how a DE may very well be the most effective disease management tool out there. There are many who will never QT, and are desperate to find a quick fix whenever ich or velvet breaks out in their DT. Maybe this is the answer they've been looking for - 40 years after the fact ;) - but we'll need more anecdotal evidence to form a consensus. Who is willing to take the plunge?

Also, do you know whether or not DE removes chemicals/medications such as copper?

First, a maximum of 250 dinospores are released, but average release is 65, and yes, they actively seek a host. Yes, running a properly sized DE filter in a proper manner and on a properly set up tank will extinguish ich and velvet and ultimately lead to a parisite free tank and fish. A tank that once had ich or velvet does not mean it has ich or velvet for life - even if fish remain. No - wrong.

This result has not been waiting forty years for discovery. It is known, documented and has been implemented in practice. It is much more than anecdotal. You're correct not to accept my evidence as common sense always dictates that you evaluate the source. But, the article pointed to in the original link is quite powerful, especially as it's author pretty much wrote the book on velvet.

I light of the qualifications of the author, I invite you to re-read the original link. Then maybe we can move on and discuss the added benefits of DE filteration, how to properly setup flow in a tank, how to size a DE filter, how and when to run a DE filter, the myths which surround DE filteration and why they fell out of popularity.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/Sponsor authors/Lawler.html

Short Biography of Adrian Lawler

Lawlerphoto.jpg
Kept various specimens in tanks since a small boy collecting in the woods and creeks of east Tennessee in the 1940’s. Kept piranha, other fish, and a caiman in tanks in dorm at University of Rochester, Rochester, N.Y, while going to college.

Received NSF Summer grant to do research at Virginia Institute of Marine Sciences (VIMS), and discovered a fish gill parasite new to science and published on it (See publication list.). Master’s in marine science; Ph.D. in marine biology, minor in parasitology; Post-doctoral fellow in fish parasitology at Gulf Coast Research Laboratory (GCRL) for 2 years, then parasitologist. Co-founder and co-chairman of GCRL Toxicology program, and head of Experimental Organism Culture, l975-l984. Aquarium Supervisor, Scott Aquarium, 1984-l998. Has raised many species of animals and plants, farm and aquatic. Holds patent on fish attractant. Author of over 80 scientific papers and reports (See list.). Also author of various articles for internet (Aquarticles.com).

Partial Research Experience: Aquarium management; diseases and parasites of fishes and control; tank systems & techniques; culture of over 200 species of organisms; soft-shell crab & crayfish shedding; lymphocystis of fishes; parasitic dinoflagellates of fishes; monogenetic trematodes of fishes, leeches of fishes; parasitic barnacles; bot flies; oligochaetes of tree frogs; abnormal development of crabs; fish attractants; trapping of aquatic organisms; toxicology; various bioassays; aquatic diseases transmitted to humans, etc.

Job Experience (related to aquariums or aquatic organisms): photosynthesis lab assistant; microbiology lab assistant; marine biology; parasitology; crabber; fisherman; oysterman; shrimper; aquaculture; seafood store; pet store distributor; bait minnow business; toxicology; fish hatchery; aquarium management, etc.

Some Accomplishments:

--AFS Exchange Student to Sweden.

--First Place, Tenn. Acad. of Science Talent Search.

--Bausch & Lomb Honorary Science Award.

--Martin F. Tiernan Scholarship, Un. of Rochester.

--NSF Undergraduate Research Participation Program Student.

--Parasitologist, Un. of Miami RV GILLISS cruise to Gulf of Panama.

--Special invitation by USSR Academy of Sciences to write paper.

--Program Chairman & Journal Supplement Editor, Miss. Acad. Sci.

--Co-Chairman, GCRL Toxicology Program, for 10 years.

--Mysids I cultured now used in toxicity testing in Europe and other places.

--Ran largest Aquarium in MS for 15 years (Aquarium destroyed by Hurricane Katrina).

--First hybrid Tilapia hatchery in Mississippi.

--Ran advisory service on many aspects of marine biology & aquaculture for public.

--Ran fish disease diagnostic and control service.

--Patent on fish attractant.

--80 + publications and completion reports (See list.).

--Only scientist in Mississippi to sign Troubled Waters Paper ….(www.mcbi.org/publications/pub_pdfs/TroubledWaters.pdf).

--Various articles for Aquarticles.com (See list.).

Retired 1998. Now recovering from effects of Hurricane Katrina; the winds and surge damaged or destroyed all structures (trees, buildings, ponds, fences) on farm. Surge inundated almost all my property and came up to front of house, and flooded most houses south of me and some houses north of me. Killed all fish in ponds except those on the highest part of land near house, and drowned most of my goats and sheep.

SOME PUBLICATIONS, REPORTS, AND ARTICLES BY DR. ADRIAN LAWLER

PUBLICATIONS

1. Lawler, A. R. 1967. Oodinium cyprinodontum n. sp., a parasitic dinoflagellate on gills of Cyprinodontidae of Virginia. Ches. Sci. 8 (1): 67-68.

2. Yamaguti, S. 1943. Concerning the method of infection by Diplorchis ranae Ozaki, 1931. Zeitschrift fur Parasitenkunde 12 (l):84-85. (Translated by A. R. Lawler, VIMS Translation Series No. 18, 2 p., December, 1967).

3. Reichenback-Klinke, H. H. 1959. Two new Tetraonchinae from Southeast Asia (Trematoda: Monogenea: Dactylogyridae). Zeitschrift fur Parasitenkunde 19: 364-367. (Translated by A. R. Lawler, VIMS Translation Series No. 19, 3 p., February, 1968).

4. Lawler, A. R. 1968. Occurrence of the parasitic dinoflagellate Oodinium cyprinodontumLawler, 1967 in North Carolina. Va. J. Sci. 19 (4):240.

5. Lawler, A. R. 1968. New host record for the parasitic dinoflagellate Oodinium cyprinodontum Lawler, 1967. Ches. Sci. 9 (4): 263.

6. Lawler, A. R., and W. J. Hargis, Jr. 1968. Monogenetic trematodes from the southern Pacific Ocean. Part V. Monopisthocotyleids from Australian fishes, the subfamily Trochopodinae. Proc. Biol. Soc. Wash. 81:367-402.

7. Hargis, W. J., Jr., A. R. Lawler, R. Morales-Alamo, and D. E. Zwerner. 1969. Bibliography of the monogenetic trematode literature of the world 1758 to 1969. Virginia Institute of Marine Science. Special Scientific Report No. 55, v and 195 p.

8. Lawler, A. R. 1969. Occurrence of the polyclad Coronadena mutabilis (Verrill, 1873) inVirginia. Ches. Sci. 10 (1): 65-67.

9. Hargis, W. J., Jr., A. R. Lawler, and D. E. Zwerner. 1970. Bibliography of the monogenetic trematode literature of the world 1758 to 1969. Supplement 1 (with errata). Virginia Institute of Marine Science. Special Scientific Report No. 55, Supplement 1, iv and 13 p.

10. Hargis, W. J., Jr., A. R. Lawler, and D. E. Zwerner. 1971. Bibliography of the monogenetic trematode literature of the world 1758 to 1969. Supplement 2 (with errata). Virginia Institute of Marine Science. Special Scientific Report No. 55, Supplement 2, v and 25 p.

11. Lawler, A. R. 1971. Zoogeography and host-specificity of the superfamily Capsaloidea Price, 1936 (Monogenea: Monopisthocotylea): An evaluation of the host -parasite locality records of the superfamily Capsaloidea Price, 1936, and their utility in determinations of host-specificity and zoogeography. Diss. Abstr. Intl. 32 (10):5900-B.

12. Lom, J., and A. R. Lawler. 1971. Mode of attachment and relation to host tissue in two dinoflagellates from gills of cyprinodonts of Virginia. Program and abstracts, Group of Czechoslovak protozoologists, Second Annual Meeting, Blatna, 19-21 May 1971. J. Protozool. 18 (Suppl):43-44.

13. Hargis, W. J., Jr., A. R. Lawler, and D. E. Zwerner. 1972. Bibliography of the monogenetic trematode literature of the world 1758 to 1969. Supplement 3. Virginia Institute of Marine Science. Special Scientific Report No. 55, Supplement 3, 14 p.

14. Lawler, A. R., and B. Iv. Lebedev. 1972. Encotyllabe latridis Lebedev, 1967 andMediavagina forsteri Lawler and Hargis, 1968 are identical monogeneans. Proc. Helm. Soc. Wash. 39 (2): 267-268.

15. Lawler, A. R., and J. A. Musick. 1972. Sand beach hibernation by a northern diamondback terrapin, Malaclemys terrapin terrapin (Schoepff). Copeia 1972, No. 2:389-390.

16. Zwerner, D. E., and A. R. Lawler. 1972. Some parasites of Chesapeake Bay fauna. InWass, M. (ed). Check-list of Virginia fauna and flora. Virginia Institute of Marine Science. Spec. Sci. Rept. No. 65: 78-94.

17. Lawler, A. R. 1973. A non-baited fish trap for shallow water. Prog. Fish-Cult. 35 (4): 237-238.

18. Lawler, A. R., and T. W. Dukes. 1973. Lymphocystis in the eye. The Veterinary Record 93 (10): 297.

19. Lawler, A. R., and W. A. Van Engel. 1973. Triple regeneration of the fifth pereiopod of a blue crab, Callinectes sapidus Rathbun. Ches. Sci. 14 (2): 144-145.

20. Lom, J., and A. R. Lawler. 1973. An ultrastructural study on the mode of attachment in dinoflagellates invading gills of Cyprinodontidae. Protistologica 9 (2): 293-309.

21. Harman, W. J., and A. R. Lawler. 1974. Dero (Allodero) hylae, an oligochaete symbiont in hylid frogs in Mississippi. Trans. Amer. Micros. Soc. 94 (1): 38-42.

22. Lawler, A. R. 1974. Diseases of estuarine fishes. Gulf Estuarine Research Society, Ocean Springs, Mississippi, 24-25 October 1974.

23. Lawler, A. R., H. D. Howse, and D. W. Cook. 1974. Lymphocystis infections in the silver perch, Bairdiella chrysura. Mississippi Academy of Sciences, Biloxi, Mississippi, 21-22 March 1974.

24. Lawler, A. R., H. D. Howse, and D. W. Cook. 1974. Silver perch, Bairdiella chrysura: New host for lymphocystis. Copeia 1974, No. 1: 266-269.

25. Taylor, P. D., N. Kingston, and A. Lawler. 1974. Trypanosomes of fishes from U.S. coastal waters. Program and Abstracts, Amer. Soc. Parasitol., 49th Annual Meeting, Kansas City, Missouri, 4-9 August 1974: 23-24. (Abstract).

26. Dukes, T. W., and A. R. Lawler. 1975. The ocular lesions of naturally occurring lymphocystis in fish. Can. J. Comp. Med. 39 (4): 406-410.

27. Lawler, A. R. 1975. A portable exhaust for laboratory fumes. Prog. Fish-Cult 37 (3): 166-167.

28. Lawler, A. R., H. D. Howse, and D. W. Cook. 1975. Lymphocystis infections in the silver perch, Bairdiella chrysura. J. Miss. Acad. Sci. 19 (1973-1974): 183.

29. Sawyer, R. T., A. R. Lawler, and R. M. Overstreet, 1975. Marine leeches of the eastern United States and the Gulf of Mexico with a key to the species. J. Nat. Hist. 9 (6): 633-667.

30. Lawler, A. R. (editor) 1976. Journal of the Mississippi Academy of Sciences, Vol. XXI, Supplement. 96 p.

31. Howse, H. D., A. R. Lawler, W. E. Hawkins and C. A. Foster. 1977. Ultrastructure of lymphosystis in the heart of the silver perch, Bairdiella chrysura (Lacepede), including observations on normal heart structure. Gulf Res. Repts. 6 (1): 39-57.

32. Lawler, A. R. 1977. Dinoflagellate (Amyloodinium) infestation of pompano. p. 257-264. In: C. J. Sindermann (ed), Disease Diagnosis and Control in North American Marine Aquaculture. Developments in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science, Vol. 6. Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, Amsterdam, Oxford, and New York. (329 p.)

33. Lawler, A. R. 1977. Monogenetic trematodes of pompano. p. 265-267. In: C. J. Sindermann (ed), Disease Diagnosis and control in North American Marine Aquaculture. Developments in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science, Vol. 6. Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, Amsterdam, Oxford, and New York. (329 p.)

34. Lawler, A. R. 1977. The parasitic dinoflagellate Amyloodinium ocellatum in marine aquaria. Drum and Croaker 17 (2): 17-20.

35. Lawler, A. R. 1977. Notes on sarcophagids from the new host Romalea microptera, and from Terrapene carolina carolina. Gulf Res. Repts. 6 (1): 69-70.

36. Lawler, A. R., J. T. Ogle, and C. Donnes. 1977. Dascyllus spp.: New hosts for lymphocystis, and a list of recent hosts. J. Wildl. Dis. 13 (3): 307-312.

37. Wharton, J. H., R. D. Ellender, B. L. Middlebrooks, P. K. Stocks, A. R. Lawler, and H. D. Howse. 1977. Fish cell culture: Characteristics of a cell line from the silver perch, Bairdiella chrysura. In Vitro 13 (6): 389-397.

38. Lawler, A. R. 1978. A partial checklist of actual and potential parasites of some South Carolina estuarine and marine fauna, p. 309-337. In: Zingmark, R. G. (ed.). An annotated checklist of the biota of the coastal zone of South Carolina. University of South Carolina Press, Columbia, South Carolina. (364 p.)

39. Lawler, A. R. 1978. Trichodinella lawleri Lom and Haldar, 1977, causing deaths of pinfish in aquaria. Drum and Croaker 18 (2): 1-3.

40. Lawler, A. R. and R. N. Cave. 1978. Deaths of aquarium-held fishes caused by monogenetic trematodes. I. Aspinatrium pogoniae (MacCallum, 1913) on Pogonias cromis(Linnaeus). Drum and Croaker 18 (1): 31-33.

41. Lawler, A. R. and R. M. Overstreet. 1976 (1978). Absonifibula bychowskyi gen. et sp. nov. (Monogenea: Absonifibulinae subfam. nov.) from the Atlantic croaker, Micropogon undulatus(L.), from Mississippi, U.S.A. Institute of Biology and Pedology, Far-East Science Centre, Academy of Sciences of the USSR 34 (137): 83-91. (In Russian).

42. Lawler, A. R., J. T. Ogle, and C. Donnes. 1978. New hosts for lymphocystis. Gulf Research Reports 6 (2): 183-184.

43. Lawler, A. R. and S. L. Shepard. 1978. A partially albino blue crab. Drum and Croaker 18 (1): 34-36.

44. Lawler, A. R., and S. L. Shepard. 1978. A bibliography of the Rhizocephala (Crustacea: Cirripedia). Gulf Research Reports 6 (2): 153-167.

45. Lawler, A. R., and S. L. Shepard. 1978. Procedures for eradication of hydrozoan pests in closed-system mysid culture. Gulf Research Reports 6 (2): 177-178.

46. Lawler, A. R. 1979. North American fishes reported as hosts of Amyloodinium ocellatum(Brown, 1931). Drum and Croaker 19 (1): 8-14.

47. Walker, W. W., A. R. Lawler, and W. D. Burke. 1979. Acute toxicity of 3-chloro-4-methyl benzenamine hydrochloride to shrimp and crabs. Bull. Environm. Contam. Toxicol. 21: 643-651.

48. Walker, W. W., A. R. Lawler, and W. D. Burke. 1979. Acute toxicity of endosylfan toMysidopsis bahia and Cyprinodon variegatas. Mississippi Academy of Sciences, Jackson, Mississippi, 7-9 March 1979.

49. Lawler, A. R. 1980. Studies on Amyloodinium ocellatum (Dinoflagellata) in Mississippi Sound: Natural and experimental hosts. Gulf Research Repts. 6(4): 403-413.

50. Lawler, A. R. 1981. Zoogeography and host-specificity of the superfamily Capsaloidea Price, 1936 (Monogenea: Monopisthocotylea). Special Papers in Marine Science No. 6, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, Gloucester Point, Virginia. 650 p.

51. Hargis, W. J., Jr., A. R. Lawler, D. A. Thoney, and D. E. Zwerner. 1982. Bibliography of the monogenetic trematode literature of the world 1758 to 1969. Supplement 4. Virginia Institute of Marine Science, Spec. Sci. Rep. No. 55, Supplement 4, ii + 56 pp.

52. Lawler, A. R. 1982. Deaths of aquarium-held fishes caused by monogenetic trematodes. II.Gyrodactylus spp. on Fundulus heteroclitus (Linnaeus). Drum and Croaker 20 (2): 15-17.

53. Walker, W. W., J. C. Murphy, and A. R. Lawler. 1982. Effects of acids and alkaline solutions on fish eyes. J. Miss. Acad. Sci. XXVII (Supplement): 24 (Abstract).

54. Sealand, M., and A. R. Lawler. 1993. Behavioral studies on cocoa damsel fish (Pomacentris variabilis) . Miss. Acad. Sci., 57th Ann. Meeting, Jackson, Miss., 18 Feb 1993. (Abstract)

55. Lawler, A.R. 1994. Human Mycobacterium marinum Aronson infections. J. Aquaricul. & Aquatic Sci. VI (4): 93-94.

56. Morris, G., and A. Lawler. 1994. Color perception in loggerhead sea turtles (Caretta caretta): blue plastic bags might save turtle lives. Miss. Acad. Sci., 58th Ann. Meeting, Biloxi, Miss., 17 Feb 1994. . (Abstract)

57. Stauter, R. L., and A. Lawler. 1994. Development and implementation of an educational leaflet on the loggerhead sea turtle (Caretta caretta). Miss. Acad. Sci., 58th Ann. Meeting, Biloxi, Miss., 17 Feb 1994. (Abstract)

58. Adas, S, A.R. Lawler, and J.P. Steen, Jr. 1995. A study on the aggressiveness and territorial behaviors of the sailfin blenny (Emblemaria pandionis Evermann and Marsh) in an aquarium environment. Miss. Acad. Sci, 59th Ann. Meeting, Biloxi, MS, 10 February 1995. (Abstract, p. 68)

59. Haynes, K., D. Jenkins, and A.R. Lawler. 1995. Infections of Mycobacterium marinum. Miss. Acad. Sci, 59th Ann. Meeting, Biloxi, MS, 10 February 1995. (Abstract, p. 87)

60. Jenkins, D., K. Haynes, and A.R. Lawler. 1995. Human infections of Vibrio vulnificus. Miss. Acad. Sci, 59th Ann. Meeting, Biloxi, Ms, 10 February 1995. (Abstract, p. 87)

61. Lawler, A.R. 1995. Some unusual deaths of cobia, Rachycentron canadum, in display tanks. Drum and Croaker. 26 (Feb 95): 9-10.

62. Rebarchik, L.M., D. Rebarchik, and A.R. Lawler. 1995. Bacterial infections in the spiny soft shell turtle, Trionyx, spiniferus. Wisc. Acad. Sci., Ann. Publ., April l995 (Un. Wisconsin, Madison)

63. Poole, S.L., and A.R. Lawler. 1996. Some effects of MS-222 on the gulf killifish (Fundulus grandis). Miss. Acad. Sci., 60th Ann. Meeting, Jackson, MS, 22 February 1996. (Abstract, 41 (1): 67).

64. Sherman, C.T., and A.R. Lawler. 1996. Some effects of plastic pollution on wildlife, and possible solutions to the problem. Miss Acad. Sci., 60th Ann. Meeting, Jackson, MS, 22 February 1996. (Abstract, 41 (1): 83).

COMPLETION REPORTS

1. Lawler, A. R. 1972. Preliminary studies on Amyloodinium ocellatum (Brown, 1931) in the Gulf of Mexico: Natural hosts, experimental hosts, and control. Gulf Coast Research Laboratory. National Marine Fisheries Service, Compl. Rept. 2-85-R, 41 p.

2. Lawler, A. R. 1975. Studies on Amyloodinium ocellatum (Brown, 1931) in the Gulf of Mexico: Natural hosts, experimental hosts, and control. Gulf Cost Research Laboratory. National Marine Fisheries Service, Compl. Rept. 2-174-R, 12 p.

3. Walker, W. W., and A. R. Lawler. 1977. St. Louis Bay-effluent toxicity evaluations: A supplemental report. E. I. DuPont de Nemours and Company , Contract No. ED-5553, 4 p.

4. Walker, W. W., and A. R. Lawler. 1977. St. Louis Bay-effluent toxicity evaluations: Supplemental report No. 2. E. I. DuPont de Nemours and Company, Contract No. ED-5553, 3 p.

5. Walker, W. W., A. R. Lawler, and W. D. Burke. 1977. Acute toxicity of 3-chloro-4-methyl benzamine hydrochloride to shrimp and crabs. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Contract No. 14-16-0009-77-001, 12 p.

6. Walker, W. W., A. R. Lawler, and W. D. Burke. 1977. St. Louis Bay-effluent toxicity evaluation. E. I. DuPont de Nemours and Company, Contract No. ED-5553, 13 p.

7. Walker, W. W., A. R. Lawler, and W. D. Burke. 1977. The determination of the acute toxicity of dredged material to crabs and shrimp under standard, static, bioassay conditions. Broadwater Beach Marina, Biloxi, Mississippi, 6 p.

8. Walker, W. W., and A. R. Lawler. 1979. Toxicity Testing: Inter-laboratory comparison with marine animals. U.S. EPA, Contract No. 68-03-2723, 25 p.

9. Lawler, A. R., P. McKinney, and W. Falls. 1980. Toxicity evaluation of Ocean Springs harbor sediments — Marine Mart area. Supervisor, District 4, Jackson County, Mississippi, 8 p.

10. Walker, W. W. and A. R. Lawler. 1980. Effluent toxicity evaluation First Chemical Corportion. First Chemical Corporation, Pascagoula, Mississippi.

11. Walker, W. W. and A. R. Lawler. 1981. Three phase sediment evaluation--Mississippi State Highway Department, 6 p.

12. Walker, W. W. and A. R. Lawler. 1981. Effluent toxicity evaluation - First Chemical Corporation. First Chemical Corporation, Pascagoula, Mississippi, 14 p.

13. Walker, W. W. and A. R. Lawler. 1981. Effluent toxicity evaluation - First Chemical Corporation. First Chemical Corporation, Pascagoula, Mississippi, 14 p.

14. Walker, W. W. and A. R. Lawler. 1981. Effluent toxicity evaluation - First Chemical Corporation. First Chemical Corporation, Pascagoula, Mississippi, 8 p.

15. Walker, W. W. and A. R. Lawler. 1981. Three phase sediment evaluation--Broadwater Beach Marina. Broadwater Beach Marina, Biloxi, Miss. , 7 p.

16. Walker, W. W., C. S. Manning, and A. R. Lawler. 1981. Toxicity tests on the early life stages of fish: Inter-laboratory comparison using the sheepshead minnow. U.S. EPA, Contract No. 68-03-2991, 45 p.

17. Overstreet, R. M., W. W. Walker, W. Hawkins, and A. R. Lawler. 1983. Biochemical, pharmacological, and tumorigenic studies on a composite of drinking water carcinogens and mutagens utilizing aquatic animals as a bioassay animal. Progress Report. National Cancer Institute, Contract NOl-CP-26008.

18. Lawler, A. R. 1993- Aquarium management, J. L. Scott Marine Education Center & Aquarium, Biloxi, Miss., 46 p.

19. Walker, S.H., A.R. Lawler, H.D. Walters, and J. Johnson. 1994. A self-guided tour to the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory's J.L. Scott Marine Education Center and Aquarium. Second Edition. Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, 21 p.

PATENT

Lawler, A., P. Schwark, and J. Moore. 1991. Artificial aquatic bait article and method of manufacture. U. S. Patent Office, March 12, 1991.

INTERNET ARTICLES (on www.aquarticles.com, plus other sites)

Aquarium Ideas Sent to Another Country in 1997,
Aquascaping,
Collecting and Handling Aquarium Specimens,
Diseases Transmitted to Humans,
Feeding Fish,
Fish Necropsy,
Monogenea of Fishes,
Parasites and Similar Problem Organisms,
Pond Liners,
Raising mealworms for animal food,
Seeding a Tank/Filter,
Shading to Increase Water (and Oxygen) Circulation in Ponds during the Summer,
Some Infection Details of Aquatic/Fish Tank Infections,
Steps to Follow in Repair and Renovation of a 210-Gallon Tank,
Stocking and Compatibility,
Tank Safety/Fish TB,
The J L Scott Aquarium and Living Displays,
Toxic Algae,
Water Changes (Python/Siphon),
Water the Mosquitoes to Help Control
Water Quality

Bamboo for Ponds,
Fish Tank Aerosols Transmitting Infections to Other Tanks or Humans,
J. L. Scott Aquarium Destroyed,
Hyperplasia in fishes,
Lymphocystis Disease of Fishes,
Natural Cooling and Circulation of Water in Ponds,
Some Items of Interest to an Aquarist,
Substrate Ingestion by Tank Occupants.

A Few Comments on Mycobacterium marinum,
Check List for Setting up a Fish Tank,
Daily Tank Checks,
Nutria: Trouble for Waterways,
Some Signs of a Sick Fish.

Pond Recovery after Storms
Remembering Howard
Predatory Birds and Small Fish PondsDiatom Filters Writing Articles
Tilapia Handout
TouchTanks
Proposed Specifications for Nutria-Resistant Geotextiles
Proposed Tests to Determine if Geotextiles are Nutria-Resistant
Aquarium Management
Human Mycobacterium marinum Aronson Infections
Trapping Snakesin Ponds
Value of Ponds to a Community
Fish TB (Mycobacterium marinum) – FAQ
Controlling Aquatic Litter.

Tank Security

Livebearing Fish Use in Tanks

CartoonsTank Tales...Reading the Minds of Fish
Tank Tales...Reading the Minds of Fish - Part 2
Fish Have Aquarium Clubs too...
Tank Tales, Part IV

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had diatom filters from the 60s and have an assortment of them in varying degrees of disassembly and re-designing. I could not have my reef without a diatom filter as I use it once a year for maintenance. I also get quite a lot of fish for practically free because they are covered in parasites and the store owner knows they will die. I cure them in a tank with copper/formalin and a diatom filter. It works in no time and am surprised very few people do this. Of course a diatom filter, or any filter will not remove every parasite, but if you were in a small salt water lake surrounded by 20, hungry Great White Sharks and someone wanted to install a filter that would remove 19 of those sharks would you say, Oh no, that would still leave one Great White Shark so I would still be in danger, or would you say something like, "What are you waiting for, get that sucker started".
I know what I would say and it wouldn't be "Happy Birthday".

The rusty tools of a day gone by...sometimes I think we who engage in this hobby have forgotten more than we know...
too much promotion...too little science...one fad chasing another...

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This discussion has been enough to move me off the proverbial bubble - I plan to purchase and install a DE. I will be happy to then report my findings guys. Depending upon how one connects the filter, It might actually be the first time I can think of to justify high flow through the sump (but that's a tedious debate for another day :)).

I would be happy to share what I know. Unfortunately I don't know of any commercial diatom filters specifically designed for reef tanks. The last was vortex I believe - they worked great but were such a pain that they probably singlehandly killed the segment. Even if you found one - don't buy it.

I build my own. Its not at all hard. installing them is a way to make their use practical requires some changes to your system - but these frankly are for the better. How bigs the system?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diatom filter will not remove anything dissolved in water so medications including copper will not be removed. It only removes particles and it is very good at it. I still use mine and have several and a few I built from spare parts.
If you collect NSW and are worried about parasites, a diatom filter can be used. I would use it to move water from one container to another, that way all parasites should be removed rather than just running it in one container for a period of time.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build my own. Its not at all hard. installing them is a way to make their use practical requires some changes to your system - but these frankly are for the better. How bigs the system?

I'm a long-time DiY guy so building something myself is typically trivial. My system is a 265 display with a 60 attached frag tank and another 125 or so incidental volume - so nominally about 450 total.

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Paul may I ask do you ....I have a 180 Fallon reef tank and almost got whipped out of all my fish from ick (2 gsm clowns and a yellow belly hippo and a wrasse that I can't remember the name) .do you think running a diatom filter would eradicate the all of what's left in my tank from ick ?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think a diatom filter will eradicate all ich in any tank. I think it may eradicate all ich that goes through it after it runs a little while so the powder coats everything. If I needed completely ich free water and didn't want to heat it or use chemicals I would run a diatom filter a while in that water, then after 20 or so minutes put the outflow of that filter into another container to produce ich free water. I sometimes use it for NSW if it has red tide in it and in decades I have never had a problem. It is a great filter idea but made very cheaply and salt water corrodes it badly so I am always re-designing the thing. I will build a completely new one when I have time but so far I still have two running and I don't use them that often. I have to run them in a bucket because the seal at the top of the impeller is a bad design and needs to be replaced often. It is just easier to run it in a bucket so it doesn't leak on the floor.
I am not sure why they designed it out of materials that are so wrong but I guess they were originally made for fresh water and like that, they last quite a while. Also diatom powder is silicate and wears out seals.
The bags don't last long so I make my own. The motor has cheap bronze bearings in them so I drill a hole above the bearing so I can keep a puddle of oil on it while it is running. The lower bearing also needs to be oiled often and some units have a tube on the side for that. On some models, I had to take the unit apart and put my own tube in. The units also run very hot so I drill large holes through the endplates to let in more air.

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what would you suggest me doing pulling the three fish I have out and run fishless for 20 to 30 days or run the filter while they are in the tank?

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not to far from you and I was by your house to drop off a coral if you remember

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@robert That's one serious man crush you've got going on there. I'm kidding. ;)

So I've spent all morning doing as much research as I can on diatom filters and this is what I "think" I've got figured out thus far:
  • Vortex is the only company left that makes them, for aquarium use anyway
  • As @Paul B states above, saltwater will badly corrode a DE... This is probably why I'm also reading NOT to use a DE on a SW tank 24/7. Which would be necessary for parasite eradication, since the maximum time to complete the life cycle of velvet is 41 days; 72 days for ich.
  • So as @robert does, I'm guessing the workaround is to build your own DE with saltwater resistant parts.
  • I'm consistently seeing it said that the Vortex is a PITA to setup/clean/recharge. I don't know if a DIY can be designed to alleviate that problem. If not, then a DE may not be for the "quick & easy" types. This would also explain why diatom filters have gone the way of the Dodo. Everything nowadays is designed for convenience or time saving - including most of the equipment we use in the hobby today.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason to think a DE filter will contribute silicate to the water and promote a live diatom bloom (part of the reason I have never run one on SW)?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatom filters went like Dodo's because people are lazy and don't know how to use them. If you follow the instructions, you will have all sorts of problems because it is very hard to start the thing as they explain.
You can still buy new diatom filters but I would buy a used one if I needed another as many people get out of the hobby. A one used on freshwater would be better. I know I said they are built very badly, but remember, Mine are all from the 60s and 70s so I have gotten a lot of use from them. I would not be able to run my reef without one even though I use them maybe once a year. They are not designed to hook up permanently. The powder would clog soon anyway and you need to dump the powder and change it. You can get the powder very cheap at a swimming pool maintenance store but you only need a cup to run the smaller filter and maybe 2 cups for the XL model. By the way, the XL unit is about twice as large but the impeller is half the size of the small one. I am not quite sure what the engineer who designed it was thinking but a small unit is fine for any tank unless it is 300 gallons. Cono, I do remember you now. There are a lot of people who come here for various things so I get them mixed up. Some want to beat me up, mug me, get hair growing secrets etc.
If my fish had parasites, I would run a diatom filter all the time. Just watch that the thing doesn't get to hot and recharge it when needed. The idea is great, the design stinks.
The one on the left is from the XL unit and the right one is the smaller one. I don't get it. Maybe the designer lived in one of those states where Marijuana is legal.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a diatom filter will affect silicate in the water. Just my opinion.

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to ask but if and when you have free time would you be able to come by on a Sunday or Monday ( the days I am off from work) some of us do that from time to time lol

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cono, I will PM you my cell number. Call me but not today as I am preparing for something. I can usually come over on Monday after the gym. What do you need me for?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 87 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back