Diatoms???

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might save your self some cash if you can find a good brand name one on Craig's list?
I saved $400

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check craigs list. I've always been weary about buying stuff used. The systems at lowes are about $200 give or take depending on the model

81Shaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I were you id look into a spectrapure system 4 stage. you can pick up refurbished units for like 125 and they work great. I ended up buying one for 181 new and a aqua fx baracuda ro system and both work great. the spectrapure system is 90 gpd and the aqua fx baracuda is 50 gpd.

81Shaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well for the spectrapure for the sediment filter 1 micron is $6.99 and for the 1 micron carbon block its $10.99 but just depends on how many micron you are wanting. im on a high tds source and my water is 400 tds from the tap so im thinking about going with a 0.5 micron which is even better. im a newb myself at this stuff but ive been running my systems every since february 20th and so far so good. i use to buy ro water from walmart also and used in my first salt tank for quite a while but just got tired of the hassle plus my local walmart is a good ways away. but yeah there is some good ro systems out there bulk reef supply makes good units as well and you can checkout SpectraPure - Innovators In Water Technology!

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read your thread other than the first few posts, because I don't have time tonight, but I was shocked,.....with the nitrates at over 160 !
I'll read more tomorrow and see what happened. I'm positive by now that you've received some great advice on what to do.
Good luck and fun with your reef. You'll love it when all's well.

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I've been doing about the nitrates is 2 20% water changes per week. Some have said I may have a faulty test kit. I have done 4 water changes and haven't seen a change in the nitrates. :-/

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just logging in for a few minutes.

Do you have fish ? If so, cut feeding down to once every 2-3 days for a week. (depending on what load & type of fish.
Don't feed them with dry flake food, especially if you don't have a clean up crew.

What skimmer do you have and how well is it working ?
You using carbon and one of the brands of nitrate reducer ?
What brand of test kits are you using ?
Test your phosphates !
Use more power heads for higher flow.
Yes, a good RO/DI is a must !!! (I have a "SpectraPure" 4-stage with their TDS meter, that I could maybe sell to you for $75. Check out Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Supplies - Bulk Reef Supply

Gotta go.

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal for sure. Do you have a paypal, hiss? No fish. No feeding. Month old tank. Changing hob filters every 3 weeks. No skimmer yet cant afford one lol API pg nitrites ammonia and nitrate test kit. Maxijet for circulation. No phosphate test kit ill get one.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill try that. I was afraid of sucking up beneficial bacteria lol

You will remove some but those bacteria's recolonize very quickly and by now they are in your rock making it live and even in the water so you won't impact the biological filtration with too much. You want to bring down your nitrates to a safe level at this point.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back