Did algae removal lead to drop is Phosphates?

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we all know that algae absorbs phosphates but during its biological process how much is actually released from the algae regularly, specifically macro algae?
I removed a small amount of some bubble algae and another benign filamentous turf algae from my 30 gallon mixed reef aquarium. I've always used rowaphos in a teeny tiny amount in a media bag sitting inside a little submersible mechanical filter with carbon in my sump...a couple of grams. My Phosphates went from .06 to .00. Some of the remaining backed off as well.
Was the slight overgrowth responsible for my phosphate numbers until I removed it? Or, could I have reignited that rowaphos by rinsing it ?
I am mitigating with reef roids and mysis shrimp unwashed

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we all know that algae absorbs phosphates but during its biological process how much is actually released from the algae regularly, specifically macro algae?
I removed a small amount of some bubble algae and another benign filamentous turf algae from my 30 gallon mixed reef aquarium. I've always used rowaphos in a teeny tiny amount in a media bag sitting inside a little submersible mechanical filter with carbon in my sump...a couple of grams. My Phosphates went from .06 to .00. Some of the remaining backed off as well.
Was the slight overgrowth responsible for my phosphate numbers until I removed it? Or, could I have reignited that rowaphos by rinsing it ?
Explaining.what you observed would be very difficult. The phosphate concentration change of 0.06 to 0.00 ppm is on the edge of measuring capability of hobby kits. The phosphate may not half changed. The difference could be measurement error, Also, unless we know how the phosphate level varies with no changes made to the aquarium, the very small observed change could be a normal fluctuation in phosphate level. I would add that healthy growing algae is generally not considered a phosphate producer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae are a net user of phosphate, so taking it away should generally result in less uptake.

OP
OP
MrGisonni

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley so, when I rinsed the couple of grams of Rowaphos and mushed it around in the filter sock I essentially reactivated it by opening up some surface area that was in the center of the ball?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley so, when I rinsed the couple of grams of Rowaphos and mushed it around in the filter sock I essentially reactivated it by opening up some surface area that was in the center of the ball?

Yes, you may have exposed more of the usable media. Many people, myself included, have taken a bag of media and mixed it around to expose more surface area that was poorly exposed inside. I wouldn't call l that reactivation, however.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back