Did Hanna fix their magnesium reagents?

90guzmanj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get the 25 reagents for $19 or just get the AF mag test kit for about the same price but you get more tests

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did fix them. But to be honest , I still think it’s exhausting doing the mag test with Hanna, also I don’t trust the readings. I seem to gravitate back to my Salifert test kit always. Not sure on the AF but heard it’s the best one for accuracy.

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get the 25 reagents for $19 or just get the AF mag test kit for about the same price but you get more tests

I would not even bother testing Magnesium.

Why do you think you need to?

Upvote 0
OP
OP

90guzmanj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not even bother testing Magnesium.

Why do you think you need to?

I mainly keep lps and just want to keep my mag as stable as possible. My torches in particular always seem to longer polyp extension after a water change and before the next water change the polyps seem be shorter. I bought the Hanna mag tester but all my test read 1800 flashing meaning it’s above that which wasn’t true so I just wanted to know if the reagent got updated.

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly keep lps and just want to keep my mag as stable as possible. My torches in particular always seem to longer polyp extension after a water change and before the next water change the polyps seem be shorter. I bought the Hanna mag tester but all my test read 1800 flashing meaning it’s above that which wasn’t true so I just wanted to know if the reagent got updated.
No worries.

Magnesium is stable in a reef tank - it is over 1300 ppm in seawater and it takes a major drop in salinity to measurably decrease it.

Consumption by any coral is minimal, less than 5% of Calcium consumption.

When you measure Mg, the only difference you are likely to see is test error, no matter which test kit you use.

ICP is the only method that provides reliable results - you may like to read the above thread before potentially wasting money that you could spend on coral.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

90guzmanj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries.

Magnesium is stable in a reef tank - it is over 1300 ppm in seawater and it takes a major drop in salinity to measurably decrease it.

Consumption by any coral is minimal, less than 5% of Calcium consumption.

When you measure Mg, the only difference you are likely to see is test error, no matter which test kit you use.

ICP is the only method that provides reliable results - you may like to read the above thread before potentially wasting money that you could spend on coral.
I appreciate the insight! Maybe I’ll just stick to testing dkh.

Upvote 0

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back