Diluting Lanthanum?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping this is a simple question…

I’m trying to use a low and slow dose of lanthanum to keep phosphates stable. To do this I’m planning on diluting a small dose (3-5ml) in a 2 gallon jug, and then use as a part of my ATO water, so the dose in the ATO is something like 0.5ml/day or so.

I understand (maybe not fully) that one of the problems with this stuff is it can “stick” to things. But I’m not sure if it’s the lanthanum that sticks or the precipitate.

My concern - will the lanthanum stick to the inside of a plastic 2 gallon jug? Or does it need to bind with something in the water (which for RODI assume wouldn’t be an issue).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum will not stick to plastic jugs, and your dosing plan seems sound to me. :)

What exactly is the problem that a few folks have using lanthanum and fish is not apparent to me, but is not necessarily from it individually adhering to anything (like a gill surface) as opposed to particulate effects causing problems.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum will not stick to plastic jugs, and your dosing plan seems sound to me. :)

What exactly is the problem that a few folks have using lanthanum and fish is not apparent to me, but is not necessarily from it individually adhering to anything (like a gill surface) as opposed to particulate effects causing problems.
Thank you!

I’ve not had any problems either, and was a little surprised to see the nightmare stories after I was already using it! That said I also don’t have any of the fish types that seem more prone to issues with it.

In this case - I have my phosphates in the 0.1-0.2 range, and everything seems happy (LPS, Soft corals) but because this stuff takes phosphates out so quickly when dosed I’m trying this out to try approximately match the dose against phosphate production to avoid a sea-saw in parameters.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 1ml/gallon in my top off water (30 gallon container).
Eventually I wound up @ 0.00 so I am now trying 0.5 ml/gal.
Phosphates went back to 0.05 after a week of plain RO topping off.
I'll know more next water change.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drooped again to 0.04 after a week.
So now I'm trying 1ml/5 gallons.
Let you know more next week.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week back up to 0.11.
I think I'll try dosing @ 1 ml/3 gallons because the vat is 30 gallons.
See you next time.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say when you get older it's harder to remember.
BUT, there's an explanation - the older we get the more information we hold in the brain.
The more there is the longer it takes to retrieve it.
I've been somewhat off here trying to get this correct, ie, the brain kicked in.
I need a starting point to get it right instead of winging it.
So - dosing has brought me to 0.09, a good number to start at.
I'm now dosing @ 1ml/ 2 gallons. I'll have the results next week.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping this is a simple question…

I’m trying to use a low and slow dose of lanthanum to keep phosphates stable. To do this I’m planning on diluting a small dose (3-5ml) in a 2 gallon jug, and then use as a part of my ATO water, so the dose in the ATO is something like 0.5ml/day or so.

I understand (maybe not fully) that one of the problems with this stuff is it can “stick” to things. But I’m not sure if it’s the lanthanum that sticks or the precipitate.

My concern - will the lanthanum stick to the inside of a plastic 2 gallon jug? Or does it need to bind with something in the water (which for RODI assume wouldn’t be an issue).

What lanthanum product did you use? I've been considering making up a batch of SeaKlear phosphate remover to finally address my 2.2 ppm phosphate level. I've used Phosphate Rx in the past to knock it down which works fine until it rebounds. GFO is exhausted too quickly so too messy, work, and not cost effective. Diluting LC for a limited daily dose over time seems appropriate to slowly lower safely with limited residue or particle mess. Hopefully not clog the filter sock too soon either.

I don't recall seeing a ratio for SeaKlear to say make up a gallon.

1711729246726.png

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lanthanum product did you use? I've been considering making up a batch of SeaKlear phosphate remover to finally address my 2.2 ppm phosphate level. I've used Phosphate Rx in the past to knock it down which works fine until it rebounds. GFO is exhausted too quickly so too messy, work, and not cost effective. Diluting LC for a limited daily dose over time seems appropriate to slowly lower safely with limited residue or particle mess. Hopefully not clog the filter sock too soon either.

I don't recall seeing a ratio for SeaKlear to say make up a gallon.

1711729246726.png
I’m using the Tropic Marin product, with dosing based on the calculator here:

Although since then my biome has apparently evolved and once I managed to dial phosphates down to 0.05-0.1 I saw my overall nutrients dive and now I’m struggling to keep them above zero…

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropped from 0.24 to 0.13 using 0.75ml/gal.
Now comes a problem I will have to watch for.
I test right before my water change, then do my 5 gallon water change.
Next day testing dropped my level by another 50% to 0.06
Obviously that 5 gallons has an immediate effect on levels.
Looks like I'm on a roller coaster.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last 2 tests were a nice surprise. I only dropped to 0.11 over the week and the next week saw me back @ 0.13.
I think I can live with that but, I test weekly, so we'll see.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back