Dino’s and peroxide while dosing nitrate ?

DreadedNomad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set my tank up in the end of November and am having a Dino outbreak now. I’ve listened to so many talks podcasts and videos about it so I have a specific question.
So I started with live sand, dry marco rock, and dr Tim’s. Left the tank dark for 5 weeks, and added the eco pods 3 weeks in. I started to notice some rusty bloom on my sand and started doing research, my Nitrate and phosphate are not detectable on the tests. I know api isn’t good but it was clear so there’s no color discrepancies there.
My plan is to slowly dose to nitrates and add some silica to encourage a diatom bloom to outcompete. Also will be dosing live phyto and adding some different bacteria to get my biodiversity back in check, maybe smack it with a blackout somewhere in there. My mushrooms don’t seem to be happy.
Does that look like good algae on the walls or just green Dino’s ?

My question is can I possibly try to dose peroxide while I’m slowly dosing the nitrate ?
Should I move my frags to the QT to wait it out, and should i peroxide dip the frag plugs before adding ?

IMG_0529.jpeg IMG_0515.jpeg

OP
OP
D

DreadedNomad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I since reconsidered dosing peroxide. I was thinking that might be some type of hair algae.
I have tried to get a sample under the microscope but have only seen long thin diatom cells and leaf material. Where should I such the sample from ?
I’ll take a picture of the back rock when the lights come on. Looks like a piece of slime or something waving in the current.
The Neonitro arrives tomorrow. I’ve been feeding more heavy to try and slowly elevate my nitrates, turned my blues to 50% so I’m seeing less bubbles on the algae. My I’ve been wiping off the creeping algae on my frag plugs but the Kenya tree has algae growing on the polyps now.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I since reconsidered dosing peroxide. I was thinking that might be some type of hair algae.
I have tried to get a sample under the microscope but have only seen long thin diatom cells and leaf material. Where should I such the sample from ?
I’ll take a picture of the back rock when the lights come on. Looks like a piece of slime or something waving in the current.
The Neonitro arrives tomorrow. I’ve been feeding more heavy to try and slowly elevate my nitrates, turned my blues to 50% so I’m seeing less bubbles on the algae. My I’ve been wiping off the creeping algae on my frag plugs but the Kenya tree has algae growing on the polyps now.
Sounds like Cyanobacteria not Dino’s..

OP
OP
D

DreadedNomad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like Cyanobacteria not Dino’s..
I hope so. Haha I started over feeding and cut the lights back. The buildup doesn’t seem so bad. But then again my lights have only been on 2 hrs so far today. It’s more of a brown with human eyes. I’m waiting for the Tropic Marin Plus NP to come in the mail. Steadily raise my phos and nitrate while simultaneously dosing carbon. The product looks good and the couple hours of podcasts and interviews with the owner were really interesting. He does things like Dr. Tim and goes the natural route/building biodiversity so I’m down for that.

IMG_0537.jpeg IMG_0538.jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so. Haha I started over feeding and cut the lights back. The buildup doesn’t seem so bad. But then again my lights have only been on 2 hrs so far today. It’s more of a brown with human eyes. I’m waiting for the Tropic Marin Plus NP to come in the mail. Steadily raise my phos and nitrate while simultaneously dosing carbon. The product looks good and the couple hours of podcasts and interviews with the owner were really interesting. He does things like Dr. Tim and goes the natural route/building biodiversity so I’m down for that.

IMG_0537.jpeg IMG_0538.jpeg
Looks like a normal ugly phase some people encounter.. just typical hair algae that will burn its self out at some point.

OP
OP
D

DreadedNomad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a normal ugly phase some people encounter.. just typical hair algae that will burn its self out at some point.
Ok cool! That I have no worries about. Just didn’t want the Dino problem. Is it normal for some algae to grow on the corals irritating them ? I hate not knowing one one personal that shares the same hobby. The LFS owner told me 0 nitrates are ideal. So thats what I’m working with. Lol I feel like some people don’t read up on newer info. So I’m kinda double guessing everything he tells me now. lol

OP
OP
D

DreadedNomad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool! That I have no worries about. Just didn’t want the Dino problem. Is it normal for some algae to grow on the corals irritating them ? I hate not knowing one real person that shares the same hobby. The LFS owner told me 0 nitrates are ideal. So thats what I’m working with. Lol I feel like some people don’t read up on newer info. So I’m kinda double guessing everything he tells me now. lol

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool! That I have no worries about. Just didn’t want the Dino problem. Is it normal for some algae to grow on the corals irritating them ? I hate not knowing one one personal that shares the same hobby. The LFS owner told me 0 nitrates are ideal. So thats what I’m working with. Lol I feel like some people don’t read up on newer info. So I’m kinda double guessing everything he tells me now. lol
It can and it can be problems! Manual removal is best with a tooth brush or something… zero nitrates is brings on Dino’s lol.. keep them 10-25

OP
OP
D

DreadedNomad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can and it can be problems! Manual removal is best with a tooth brush or something… zero nitrates is brings on Dino’s lol.. keep them 10-25
Hah ok, yeah there’s certain things people don’t mention in videos I noticed. I’m gonna start that today then. Haha that’s what I was thinking in my head but didn’t say anything because he gives me deals. I figured I’d agree and figure it out elsewhere. So some of the coral probably looks bad because of low phos too I bet. The bta isn’t as full as usual and seems a little deflated in the polyps on the edges.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah ok, yeah there’s certain things people don’t mention in videos I noticed. I’m gonna start that today then. Haha that’s what I was thinking in my head but didn’t say anything because he gives me deals. I figured I’d agree and figure it out elsewhere. So some of the coral probably looks bad because of low phos too I bet. The bta isn’t as full as usual and seems a little deflated in the polyps on the edges.
Don’t get crazy dosing them cause the algae is uptaking most of your nitrates and phosphates currently and you’ll just feed it! Just get a nice clean up crew and manual removal till it burns its self out.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not dosed nitrates but peroxide plus ChaetoGro eliminated my dinos and cyano. Thinking Pom Pom plus GHA out-competed that stressed by peroxide which I also noticed affecting my GHA but that GHA hard to eradicate once established. At one point dosed 90ml in my 20g test tank. Water volume only 16g

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back