Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. It’s even worse today. My wrasse is struggling and looking like it’s dying. My guess is that the toxins are starting to build up even though LCA is supposed to be lore in toxin/no toxin. I’ve lost almost double digit snails since that post now along with having 2 stressed out fish.
I would have one cup of GAC per hundred gallons in the system. Replace weekly for now.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say yes. I had decent luck with raising temps + blackout + UV. But when I reduced the temps they came back. YMMV.
Cool appreciate the experience, lots of mixed results sounds like thanks!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is raising temperature effective on Ostreopsis?
I do not believe this is at all effective. A properly sized and fed UV is all most people need. Over size it. Manufacturers reccs are rubbish. Dinos have armor and need to be cooked, not tanned.

This should help.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe this is at all effective. A properly sized and fed UV is all most people need. Over size it. Manufacturers reccs are rubbish. Dinos have armor and need to be cooked, not tanned.

This should help.

No tanning lol, thanks

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd always recommend watching BRS with regards their experiments on the uglies.

Taking from that, ocean direct sand, adding copepods (lots of them) and decent rock. Use natural methods of nitrate and phosphate reduction (macroalgae). Test those levels and bump if required once macro has grown well enough to dent any elevated levels. If already very low, raise them, then in time look for a natural control method.

Adding a UV plumbed correctly is no bad thing, even if it doesn't affect the dino strain you have. Though having said that, most tanks have more than one. Fighting one strain without resolving the imbalance - often biodiversity just leads to another becoming the dominant form.

I've won and lost as many battles with this pest than any other. Though once after fighting a plague which at the time didn't know what it was, found one morning it was gone - literally overnight. With no changes to anything I had done other than cleaning diligently daily to keep on top of it. The day before strands several inches long covering all corals - the next morning - clean as a whistle. I still do not know to this day how or why. I wish I did.

Ultimately remember everything bad in this hobby often doesn't happen overnight - it's the net effect of months of something going wrong. A measure of success is the same. Many months.

Finally you won't eradicate what is part of a natural eco system - but you can help by keeping it in check and that is in my view only achievable through biodiversity.

Flomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I've seen that I could write here to get some dinos ID (@taricha). My father's tank is currently overgrown with algae. We are almost certain that these are dinos. Here are some pictures/vids taken with a microscope :
If you have any advise, we would be glad to hear it. Thank you!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I've seen that I could write here to get some dinos ID (@taricha). My father's tank is currently overgrown with algae. We are almost certain that these are dinos. Here are some pictures/vids taken with a microscope :
If you have any advise, we would be glad to hear it. Thank you!

@taricha will come along for an ID at some point. While they are certainly dinos, I don't have a high conviction ID for you. In the mean time should you wish to self diagnose, take a look at the videos linked in this article he and I wrote up. It also entails some treatment options according to dino ID.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I've seen that I could write here to get some dinos ID (@taricha).
looks most likely prorocentrum dinos to me.

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had high phosphate and nitrate for years and still have dino’s. Can’t get rid off it

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some pics and a video of a worm or nematode thing eating ostreopsis and prorocentrum. Thoughts?

Attachments

• PXL_20240305_022557427.jpg
    PXL_20240305_022557427.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20240305_022723786.jpg
    PXL_20240305_022723786.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 16

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back