Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly believe your money spent gave you no benefit with that test, there's no way to take that outcome report and translate it into action to help your reef. AB testing has zero application to dinos invasion work.

bacterial dna testing doesn't help us manage invasive dinos. it doesn't help us manage anything, AB is scooping up this cash we're throwing his way to be part of new terminology in the hobby.

I kind of agree with you. If I was just chugging along with no issues and not experimenting with taboo chems in the tank I wouldn't waste my time on the test. I started using aquabiomics when my torches started mysteriously dying and sure enough there were pathogens. Did antibiotic treatments and that didn't help much. I learned a few things so it was not all for nothing.

But here we are. 2 of the 3 pathogens now undetectable. It does say something I think and better than just blindly not knowing what is happening to the microbiome. Bob Stark may have been right in that it attacks only gram neg bacteria. It could be the bleach dosing or the more pro biotic approach with CRT concoction but as a side effect to trying to fight dinos may have found a better way to fight pathogens than using cipro and amox (which didn't work for me).

It really doesn't have anything to do with the dinos other than just another test to give a clearer picture into the controversial bleach dosing and its effects to the microbiome.

But yes, that is the last aquabiomics test I will be doing for a loooooong time. Anymore tests and I won't be able to feed my fish anymore from going broke lol. And that wait is unbearable.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well said. I think the data will be useful in 5-10 years as actionable plans following the test, just not today. All tech has to get a start somewhere though, that's what we're all currently funding for the benefit of Eli's company.

he can generate some data from the tests, whether or not thats accurate (no alt labs to verify, no way to know how QC affects reading accuracy, so many unspoken variables when only 1 company offers these aquarium tests) or valid in the context of things we can change in a reef tank is what all the current debate is about, from those who are not buying what AB is selling, and there are several here. Nothing I've read from Randy HF indicates these tests are highly prized for us.

In matters of testing things in a reef tank, I value what Randy has to say because he isn't selling anything.

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 130 42.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back