Dino's Question

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am starting up a new 22 gallon tank and planning on bringing my clowns and inverts over from my Fluval 13.5. Problem is the 13.5 has been showing signs of slight dinos from a rock that I had recently added to the tank after buying some anemones. I would love to move the anemones to the new tank but I don't want to risk transferring the dinos to the new tank as well. Will be receiving live rock from a trusted source that has had it running in his tank for years and never had any dinos. What would you suggest doing? Would you try and remove the nems and transfer only those or would you add the whole rock and think that the live rock that I will be getting will out compete the dinos as long as nutrients are stable? Curious what y'all think. Thanks!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try removing, if they don’t come off easily I would scrub the rocks before adding, chances are with the transfer you will be leaving most of the dinos behind, any that do get carried over should be minimal, some say all tanks have dinos anyway, the idea is to run a tank that doesn’t promote their growth, this is an ideal time to do that.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try removing, if they don’t come off easily I would scrub the rocks before adding, chances are with the transfer you will be leaving most of the dinos behind, any that do get carried over should be minimal, some say all tanks have dinos anyway, the idea is to run a tank that doesn’t promote their growth, this is an ideal time to do that.
I was thinking that same thing. Most of it appears on the sand bed and it hasn't been very bad lately. I am going to try and remove the nems (see if i have better luck this time). I knew as soon as I went to pick them up that he had dinos in his tank and I tried my best to remove them from the rock then just decided to put the whole rock in. I think the rock absorbed nutrients or something which bottomed them out and then the dinos started taking over. There are a few bubbles on the rock as I look at it but I think I could remove a good amount just from scrubbing if I do have to add the rock to the new tank. I am also hoping that the new rock that I get will start to grow algae as he has them brewing in buckets and haven't exposed them to light. He does dose with MB7 every now and then but for the most part have just been brewing since he took down his last tank.

Back