Dinos

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello All!
After a lot of research and observation I think i have dinos. Ive been going back and forth between whether its dinos or cyano. It goes away when lights come off and is back when lights come back on. I also think its dinos as my No3 are 7.0 and PO4 are 1.0, crazy imbalance. With that being said, how do i fight them?

IMG_2361.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you referring to in the picture? I don't see dinos which can only be confirmed with a cheap microscope.

mcc21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doesn't really matter if its dinos or cyano. If you plan on battling it naturally the only way to do it is keep your nutrients from bottoming out. How are your nitrates and phosphates? Every time i see a little bit of dino in my tank i know my nitrates/phosphate are bottoming out. That when i test the parameters and dose nitrate/phosphate accordingly.

If what you are experiencing is algae then you will need to test as well as too much nitrate/phosphate will contribute to that issue and then water changes and GFO / nitrifiying bacteria is your best bet.

Basically both algae and dino/cynao is a pure balance of bacteria and nutrient levels. Good luck

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doesn't really matter if its dinos or cyano. If you plan on battling it naturally the only way to do it is keep your nutrients from bottoming out. How are your nitrates and phosphates? Every time i see a little bit of dino in my tank i know my nitrates/phosphate are bottoming out. That when i test the parameters and dose nitrate/phosphate accordingly.

If what you are experiencing is algae then you will need to test as well as too much nitrate/phosphate will contribute to that issue and then water changes and GFO / nitrifiying bacteria is your best bet.

Basically both algae and dino/cynao is a pure balance of bacteria and nutrient levels. Good luck
my Nitrates are 7.0 and Phos are 1.0

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh ok you have a little bubble algae. Take the racks out and clean them off. Use old tank water during your water changes.
i took that rack out yesterday, scrubbed it clean and today its covered again. i have the snotty bubble algae all over, especially in my frag tank. It’s starting to cling on to my acros

mcc21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i took that rack out yesterday, scrubbed it clean and today its covered again. i have the snotty bubble algae all over, especially in my frag tank. It’s starting to cling on to my acros
if is just on there than dip it in h202 and scrub it off outside of the tank.
Do you dip your corals and scrub the base/plugs before putting into the tank? That a very important step.

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if is just on there than dip it in h202 and scrub it off outside of the tank.
Do you dip your corals and scrub the base/plugs before putting into the tank? That a very important step.
its all over my tank, it was just easier and a clearer shot of it from my rack

i always dip corals and scrub before putting them in my tank

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a quality uv sterilizer and be done with it.

I lost EVERYTHING while trying to do this the natural way. I nearly gave up reefing, but decided to give a sterilizer a go. Two days later and every trace of Dinos were gone.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back