Distended / Bloated Vrolik's Wrasse

Deed_Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I picked the correct thread for posting. This is my first post and now a registered member of this wonderful community. I have learned so much from so many posts and discussion on this website. I am hoping someone may be able to help me with this issue.
My Vrolik's Wrasse (Halichoeres chrystaenia) has a large distention below his pectoral fin. It could have started to develop as long as two days ago; I left for work early yesterday before the tank lights were on. He is only out in the morning through mid afternoon so I don't see in the evenings, and it burrows in the sand the rest of the day/night. He was swimming and eating as normal (attacking the clam as it fell to the bottom of the tank) today when I saw him. I say him, but I truly do not know the sex. He was added to the tank 1/29/2022 and the most recent fish that were added were (2) blue/green chromis and a valentini saddle puffer that came from a tank I dismantled on 12/19/2023. Current tank mates are (1) neon cleaner wrasse, (2) clown fish, (2) blue/green chromies, (1) royal gramma, (1) radial filefish, (1) diamond watchman goby, (1) valentine saddle puffer, and (1) juvenile powder blue tang. Tank Details: 75g, temperature 74.9 F, SG 1.025, alkalinity 11 dKH, phosphate 0.05 mg/L, nitrate 1.2 mg/L, nitrite 50 ug/L, ammonia non detect, and pH 8.1, last 20% water change was 17 days ago, and I use a Fluval 407. The Fluval canister and pre-filter sponges are cleaned with each water change and replaced every 3 months (sooner if needed). In the filter aside from the sponges are: Seachem Matrix, Seachem Purigen, and Seachem Phosgaurd. The Fish are fed a minimum of three times a day, but this fish typically only eats in the morning. Morning feeding: table seafood clam, scallop, or shrimp, and a rotating mix of frozen: Reef Frenzy, brine shrimp, fish eggs, sponge, Mysis shrimp, mussel, spirulina, plankton, blood worms, and a sheet of nori every 2-3 days; 3:00pm: hikari pellets and ocean nutrition flakes; 7pm: a rotating mix of frozen: Reef Frenzy, brine shrimp, fish eggs, sponge, Mysis shrimp, mussel, spirulina, plankton, blood worms. The frozen food is fed in small amounts so all can be consumed within ~5 minutes. I hope I have provided enough information.

IMG_6135.JPG IMG_6138.JPG IMG_6137.JPG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I picked the correct thread for posting. This is my first post and now a registered member of this wonderful community. I have learned so much from so many posts and discussion on this website. I am hoping someone may be able to help me with this issue.
My Vrolik's Wrasse (Halichoeres chrystaenia) has a large distention below his pectoral fin. It could have started to develop as long as two days ago; I left for work early yesterday before the tank lights were on. He is only out in the morning through mid afternoon so I don't see in the evenings, and it burrows in the sand the rest of the day/night. He was swimming and eating as normal (attacking the clam as it fell to the bottom of the tank) today when I saw him. I say him, but I truly do not know the sex. He was added to the tank 1/29/2022 and the most recent fish that were added were (2) blue/green chromis and a valentini saddle puffer that came from a tank I dismantled on 12/19/2023. Current tank mates are (1) neon cleaner wrasse, (2) clown fish, (2) blue/green chromies, (1) royal gramma, (1) radial filefish, (1) diamond watchman goby, (1) valentine saddle puffer, and (1) juvenile powder blue tang. Tank Details: 75g, temperature 74.9 F, SG 1.025, alkalinity 11 dKH, phosphate 0.05 mg/L, nitrate 1.2 mg/L, nitrite 50 ug/L, ammonia non detect, and pH 8.1, last 20% water change was 17 days ago, and I use a Fluval 407. The Fluval canister and pre-filter sponges are cleaned with each water change and replaced every 3 months (sooner if needed). In the filter aside from the sponges are: Seachem Matrix, Seachem Purigen, and Seachem Phosgaurd. The Fish are fed a minimum of three times a day, but this fish typically only eats in the morning. Morning feeding: table seafood clam, scallop, or shrimp, and a rotating mix of frozen: Reef Frenzy, brine shrimp, fish eggs, sponge, Mysis shrimp, mussel, spirulina, plankton, blood worms, and a sheet of nori every 2-3 days; 3:00pm: hikari pellets and ocean nutrition flakes; 7pm: a rotating mix of frozen: Reef Frenzy, brine shrimp, fish eggs, sponge, Mysis shrimp, mussel, spirulina, plankton, blood worms. The frozen food is fed in small amounts so all can be consumed within ~5 minutes. I hope I have provided enough information.

IMG_6135.JPG IMG_6138.JPG IMG_6137.JPG

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Swollen bellies in fish can come from a variety of causes. Here is what I think, in roughly descending order of likely hood:

Constipation
Ascites - fluid in the abdomen due to liver/kidney failure
Egg binding (females unable to lay their eggs)
Over eating
Edema - fluid build up in the all of the fish's tissues

I think the last three causes are unlikely in this case. That leaves constipation or ascites. You'll read all sorts of odd "cures" for constipation (feeding the fish peas, adding Epsom salts to the water for example - that doesn't work). Giving the fish time is really the only "cure". This fish is really swollen. That means ascites can't be ruled out. Trouble is, there is no cure for liver or kidney failure in fish.

Jay

OP
OP
D

Deed_Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Swollen bellies in fish can come from a variety of causes. Here is what I think, in roughly descending order of likely hood:

Constipation
Ascites - fluid in the abdomen due to liver/kidney failure
Egg binding (females unable to lay their eggs)
Over eating
Edema - fluid build up in the all of the fish's tissues

I think the last three causes are unlikely in this case. That leaves constipation or ascites. You'll read all sorts of odd "cures" for constipation (feeding the fish peas, adding Epsom salts to the water for example - that doesn't work). Giving the fish time is really the only "cure". This fish is really swollen. That means ascites can't be ruled out. Trouble is, there is no cure for liver or kidney failure in fish.

Jay
Hi Jay,

Thank you for the information. I am leaning more towards constipation; it looks like he may have something blocking his vent as there is a slight protrusion there. He is still swimming, acting normal, and wants to eat. I have not fed him since Friday morning. Do you suppose if I were to massage the area, or perhaps try and remove what appears to be stuck, it would provide some relief? I don't want to lose him, but more so, I don't want him to suffer.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

Thank you for the information. I am leaning more towards constipation; it looks like he may have something blocking his vent as there is a slight protrusion there. He is still swimming, acting normal, and wants to eat. I have not fed him since Friday morning. Do you suppose if I were to massage the area, or perhaps try and remove what appears to be stuck, it would provide some relief? I don't want to lose him, but more so, I don't want him to suffer.

I've never tried manually expelling feces from a fish - it might work, but you need to be really gentle.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back