Diy algae scrubber, what do you guys think.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do that, but it's wise to have a secondary path. Less for concern over the algae growing into the slot/screen junction than it is for concero that something might go down the overflow pipe and get snagged on the screen or block the slot.

If you have dual overflows or a herbie/bean drain, less of a concern. Otherwise you can create a bypass on the drain, but you have to allow for some head pressure to build up on the slot/screen junction instead of allowing it to just completely bypass if there is any backpressure...

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do that, but it's wise to have a secondary path. Less for concern over the algae growing into the slot/screen junction than it is for concero that something might go down the overflow pipe and get snagged on the screen or block the slot.

If you have dual overflows or a herbie/bean drain, less of a concern. Otherwise you can create a bypass on the drain, but you have to allow for some head pressure to build up on the slot/screen junction instead of allowing it to just completely bypass if there is any backpressure...
Ok that makes more sense thank you sir :) cool build following along

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light came today and I hooked it right up. Definitely too big for my needs but I'm sure it would be fine. Also cought my clown sucking on Duncan tentacles.

Attachments

• 1418442334371.jpg
    1418442334371.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 339
  • 1418442349879.jpg
    1418442349879.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 299
OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 12 update. Algae growth has slowed down on scrubber. Do you think it's because nitrates and phosphates are so low?

Attachments

• 1419105392582.jpg
    1419105392582.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 274

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's because the screen is way too smooth, and the dark growth (from weak lighting) can't hold on and is letting go.

You need a new, very rough screen, and stronger lights.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your lights are plenty good, the Expressions LTD lights are not the issue. It's the screen, you really need to use the roughed-up plastic canvas. It's hard to beat for a waterfall.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be set up in many ways. I have mine setup so water from the sump goes through the scrubber and right back to the sump. It is also plumbed to drain into my 135 gal. tank, but my scrubber generates some bubbles and I don't need the salt spray near the tank. Remember you need quite a bit of flow, depending on your screen width.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also a bit hard to tell exactly what kind of growth you are getting in that pic, it's pretty dark. You might try using a light over it while you take the pic (flash tends to wash stuff out). Also, it might just be too early to tell what is going on, because growth over time can change as the screen sets in. I still think the growth substrate material is not the best though.

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also a bit hard to tell exactly what kind of growth you are getting in that pic, it's pretty dark. You might try using a light over it while you take the pic (flash tends to wash stuff out). Also, it might just be too early to tell what is going on, because growth over time can change as the screen sets in. I still think the growth substrate material is not the best though.

I just ordered #7 mesh it will be here Saturday.

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.Just switched to the #7 mesh. This is the growth on the old one I just threw away. It looks brownish green. I'll update in a couple days.

Attachments

• 1419735066367.jpg
    1419735066367.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 1419735086653.jpg
    1419735086653.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 213
OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Scrubber seems to be doing its job but how often should I clean it off or start a New piece? Does anyone dry it out and use it to feed? Can it be done? How?

Attachments

• 1422329011234.jpg
    1422329011234.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 1422329026321.jpg
    1422329026321.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 184

sir bonkers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't feed it to my fish. Its algae you just took out. Why put it back in? I say toss it.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often should I clean it off or start a New piece?

If you mean how often do you toss the entire screen and start with a new one, I've got scrubbers that have been running on the same screen for years. There is no reason to change the screen unless it tears.

In your post-scrape pic, it looks like you have some pretty well established green growth already. In the pre-clean pic, it looks like that growth is covered in some dark slime. When you turned off the flow, does the screen stink, kinda putrid smelling? I match the smell I am talking about to dinoflagellates after you suck them out, or Anthelia when removed from the tank.

If that's the case, then your photoperiod may be too long. You have to ease into a longer photoperiod with LED, once you get a base of growth and the screen has filled in, you won't get as much of the stinky slime

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean how often do you toss the entire screen and start with a new one, I've got scrubbers that have been running on the same screen for years. There is no reason to change the screen unless it tears.

In your post-scrape pic, it looks like you have some pretty well established green growth already. In the pre-clean pic, it looks like that growth is covered in some dark slime. When you turned off the flow, does the screen stink, kinda putrid smelling? I match the smell I am talking about to dinoflagellates after you suck them out, or Anthelia when removed from the tank.

If that's the case, then your photoperiod may be too long. You have to ease into a longer photoperiod with LED, once you get a base of growth and the screen has filled in, you won't get as much of the stinky slime

I really appreciate all your info on this matter. I cut down the schedule a bit.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%

Back