DIY Doser(s)????

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While skimming thru the diy threads, I didn't (or overlooked) a diy doser. Can anyone point me in the right direction to a link that we have here or tell me how you may have done your dosing? I'm trying to find a easier way to dose 2 part. I might even stop and just dose kalk in my top off water. Prompting this question because outbid on Ebay for a pair of dosers. Might just give in and pick up 2 or 3 from BRS. Thanks to all that might be able to help.

arnaldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i dose kalk on my 120 using a 15 gal.bucket with an aqualifter controled by an auto topoff(autotopoff.com) i have great results with this method dont wave to deal with 2 part dose and the best part my topoffwater last like almost 3 weeks!!!hope this help:bigsmile:

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i dose kalk on my 120 using a 15 gal.bucket with an aqualifter controled by an auto topoff(autotopoff.com) i have great results with this method dont wave to deal with 2 part dose and the best part my topoffwater last like almost 3 weeks!!!hope this help:bigsmile:

Nice! I would fill a 5 gallon bucket every 4 days!!! I usually have to top off 15 gallons over a period of 12-14 days on my 125.

mikesin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I dose kalk/top off water while lights are off - it is controlled by a aquacontroller. The tanks evaporation is approx 1 gallon per day so this is what I dose/add. Tke kalk container is 6 gallon, so every 6 says I make kalk. I also dose 60/70ml of 2 part per day. The two part is dosed using a kangaroo pump which doses 24/7. The calc. (460) and alk (10 dkh) are very constant no matter what time of the day it is.
hope this helps....

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wher did you get the kangaroo pump (never heard of it)? Thanks

mikesin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the kangaroo dosing pump (model 324) from a club member. I'm not sure what differences all of the models are. They are for sale in lots of places e-bay, etc. They can be expensive BUT you should be able to find one used. A slight modification is needed for a reef tank (depending on the model) - solder a wire or something? Mine was done when I purchased it so I don't know much about that.
A two channel tubing set can be purchased from .innovativeaquatics. Basically these pumps are designed for a single tube, the two channel set uses small diameter tubing so that both will fit on the wheel - which in return allows you to dose calc. and alk. at the same time. one thing to remember is the smaller tubing set throws off the ml value
the pump is programed for, you have to experiment a bit to get the right dose - EX- I set mine for 13ml which comes out to roughly 70 ml in 24hrs.
its totally programmable.
I wish I could remember more but its been a while since I did this so I recommend doing a little more research on them.
DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'll look into them. Anyone using APT pumps or no wire to find them?

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, where to find them? Evo ain't working with me and drinks.

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are actually medical tube-feeding pumps. Not sure where to find them but I have used them as a Registered Nurse for many years.............

Chompers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another way you can do it is to use two AquaLifters controlled with a timer and ATO system. You'll need to know your daily dosages and daily evaporation. Basically, you want to dilute your dosages into the top off water (that makes sense, right?).

Then use the ATO to dose the aquarium.

To get the ATO to take over this function, it has to control two pumps and they have to dose at different times of the day. Easy, right? Actually, it sounds harder than it really is. You will need an ATO that will control an electrical outlet. If you need help with that, see this thread:
Simple Auto Top Off (ATO), inexpensive too!=

Then when that is done, this is how to get it to control two AquaLifters:
Orlando Reefs • View topic - DIY Wavemaker (pump controller)

When you get everything built, how it all goes together is the AquaLifters both are plugged into the alternating outlets. The power cord for the pump controller needs to be plugged into the outlet controlled by the ATO. The timer needs to be plugged into an uninterupted power supply (the wall or power strip).

The timer should be set for twelve hours on and twelve hours off. For half of the day, the top off water will dose Part A and the other half of the day will dose Part B.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another way you can do it is to use two AquaLifters controlled with a timer and ATO system. You'll need to know your daily dosages and daily evaporation. Basically, you want to dilute your dosages into the top off water (that makes sense, right?).

Then use the ATO to dose the aquarium.

To get the ATO to take over this function, it has to control two pumps and they have to dose at different times of the day. Easy, right? Actually, it sounds harder than it really is. You will need an ATO that will control an electrical outlet. If you need help with that, see this thread:
Simple Auto Top Off (ATO), inexpensive too!=

Then when that is done, this is how to get it to control two AquaLifters:
Orlando Reefs • View topic - DIY Wavemaker (pump controller)

When you get everything built, how it all goes together is the AquaLifters both are plugged into the alternating outlets. The power cord for the pump controller needs to be plugged into the outlet controlled by the ATO. The timer needs to be plugged into an uninterupted power supply (the wall or power strip).

The timer should be set for twelve hours on and twelve hours off. For half of the day, the top off water will dose Part A and the other half of the day will dose Part B.

Thanks. I'll give them a look. Just a question, maybe I'm wrong. Don't the Aqua lifters does about 3.5 gph?

sweetride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a very similar setup, ie. aqualifter for dosing 2 part CA,ALK,KALK & Water. for CA & ALK I have them plugged in a timer and also have a ball valve to further adjust the flow.

as per your question about the flow of the aqualifter you are correct as this has 3.5 gph flow.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a very similar setup, ie. aqualifter for dosing 2 part CA,ALK,KALK & Water. for CA & ALK I have them plugged in a timer and also have a ball valve to further adjust the flow.

as per your question about the flow of the aqualifter you are correct as this has 3.5 gph flow.

Mind not working with me tonight. Didn't even think of the valve. :tongue:

Chompers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is so large that it evaporates more than 3.5 gph, pm me your address so I can send you a bill for my consulting fees. lol.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is so large that it evaporates more than 3.5 gph, pm me your address so I can send you a bill for my consulting fees. lol.

LOL. No, about 1.5 gallons on the best days. Between the heat here and MH 250 x 3 thru the afternoon and evening.

Chompers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5g is good. It should be pretty easy to work with that.

Basically you want to divide that in half (3/4g) and dilute the daily dosage for the A & B in each half. Of course, you'll want to mix up enough for a week or two.

By the way, the system won't add the daily doses all in one shot. It will meter it out in small doses through out the day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-4. I was reading your post earlier at work on my phone, so wasn't readingtoo well while trying to keep up with work. After reading it again, I understand it better. I'll PM you on a thought I have (rather a ?).

Bugg_zy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dosers cost maybe 2 bucks :tongue: 2 pee cups, and some airline hose. Not really fully automated but really simple. Drilled a hole in the pee cups and inserted airline hose. Then I tie a knot in the airline to adjust the drip rate. Add the solution and it drips into my sump. Alk before work(lights out), cal after work. Gonna look at my tank anyways and it takes only a few seconds to add fluid to the cups.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back