DIY Frag Rack.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and girls. So it’s been a long time since I posted. Basically since I stopped reefing due to various reasons, mainly work and the upcoming relocation.

Anyhow, a friend asked if I would make home some frag racks for his retail tank. Which I could I was more than happy to do since I miss making stuff lol.

The requirements were, good looking, height adjustable, identifiable markings for pricing, can be used to transport coral, stackable and suitable for 25mm plugs.

So. To get on with it then here we go.

Products used:

• 3.5mm Black Arcrylic sheet
  • 3mm Green Arcrylic sheet
  • 12mm Clear Arcrylic rod
  • 1/2” Electrical fittings
Tools used:

• Cordless drill
  • Step drill bit
  • Hack saw
  • Dremmel
  • Sandpaper 1000/2000Grit
  • Flame thorch
  • Weld on 4 Arcrylic bond
  • Syringe for above

So, let’s get into it.

First step is equally marking up all the plug locations. A little bit of division will get you through this.

Step two,

make a mess with the drilling. You know you’re doing something worth doing when you have a mess to show for it. Just get it gone before the wife returns home lol. Drilled the holes for the legs and plugs using the step drill bit. I find that a smoother safer way to drill Arcrylic.

Step three,

Test fit the leg holders. The holes needed a little sanding via the dremmel as did the plug holes just to tidy things up.

Step four,

Sand the edges of the tray with 1000-2000 grit sand paper to get a nice smooth finish before flame treating them for that glass like look.

Step five,

Cut the legs to size, I used the hack saw and cut a couple of mm into the rod before rotating it constantly until it popped off. I think this to be the best way to cut small Arcrylic items for a more accurate cut. You can use the dremmel but this can get hot and cause the Arcrylic to melt and stick to the blade. Proceed to sand and heat tray the cuts as before.

Step six,

For the green number bar I simply cut 6 small pieces of green Arcrylic and stuck two together to use as an elevator for the number rod. I did this to help with the fluorescence of the green as it would have been a little dark if glued directly onto the black Arcrylic.

Step seven,

Simple engraving tool used to etch the Alphabetical on the left side of the tray, this is obviously for identifying each plug.

So the finished result isn’t to bad. It took about 2hrs to make one rack with the drilling included. Sure the finish isn’t retail worthy. But it is just another DIY project after all. It gets the job done. The legs can be swapped out for any height legs as they are hand tightened in only. Not glued, it’s stackable for transporting corals as both trays legs are in the same place, it’s labeled and for $28USD to build I think good value.

All products were purchased locally but can be purchased on Amazon.com. Including colored 12mm a Arcrylic rods for the legs.

IMG_4342.jpeg IMG_4345.jpeg IMG_4344.jpeg IMG_4286.jpeg IMG_4341.jpeg IMG_4346.jpeg

Magok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah this is really cool and useful!
I really like the idea of using the cord grips with the acrylic rods for stands.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah this is really cool and useful!
I really like the idea of using the cord grips with the acrylic rods for stands.
Hey thnx. Yea that was the most difficult thing to solve actually. But these are definitely a good solution. I was worried the legs would be unstable but they are really sturdy. Glad it worked as he originally wanted green legs which I couldn’t find locally. Now he can swap them out for whatever colour he likes .

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are obviously of a much higher quality finish than I can do with hand tools . Very nice. I almost bonded green with black to creat this effect to. But ended up deciding against it as we didn’t want the focus to be taken away from the frags as they will be photographed for sale.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make something similar but use machines to do all the cutting.

What are you using for the silicone mat? I’ve had a few people hit me up for this type of grab rack but haven’t done it before with the silicone inside.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for the silicone mat? I’ve had a few people hit me up for this type of grab rack but haven’t done it before with the silicone inside.
You know it’s funny I was wondering the same thing. I was previously thinking of using the shelf lining from IKEA. Lol. But couldn’t be sure it was reef safe. If you could use this and get a star shaped punch that would be great.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d add the finished project now that the second one is done. Luckily I found some plastic plugs to tidy things up slightly. Which can be removed for stacking.

Attachments

• IMG_4367.jpeg
    IMG_4367.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4366.jpeg
    IMG_4366.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a look on Amazon US and they sell rolls of food grade 1.5mm silicon 12” x 8 Feet for a reasonable price. Looks like this could do the job. Here’s the link.

https://a.co/d/1y2ScGp

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back