DIY Ozone Reactor Idea

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm working on a plan to incorporate ozone into ~200 gallon build that I'm working on.

I haven't used ozone consistently on a tank before and I'm trying to find a way to ensure all the water goes through carbon to eliminate any excess ozone/ozone byproducts. I understand this is important to preventing ozone toxicity.

First a question:
For those of you using ozone with a controller, how often are you actually changing the carbon on the outlet of your ozone injector? My understanding is carbon is used up quite quickly in a reef tank. I doubt most people are changing their outlet carbon every few days.

On to the reactor idea:
I'm thinking about plumbing two reactors in series. I'd attach an ozone injector like what is used on pools and spas prior to the first chamber. The first chamber would be filled with some K1 Media (HDPE "Wheels"), the second chamber could be filled with activated carbon. If needed, the first chamber could even be extended to a 20" canister to allow for more surface area & contact time with the ozone.

Let me know your thoughts on the activated carbon and reactor idea. My skimmer is ozone compatible, but I have a whole fish room where the tank is going and if filtering the ozonated water with activated carbon is truly important, the reactor seems safer.

K1 Media.jpg Canister Filter Housing.jpg Ozone Injector.jpg

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the reactor work at least....I need to get a reactor instead of burning out my skimmer.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bit of an older thread but, did you ever move forward with this?
I did! Unfortunately, my tank build is still in progress though because the tank arrived cracked so I had to send it back for repair. I've got the ozone reactor assembled and ready to connect to the tank plumbing, but I haven't tested it out yet (obviously).

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preparing a tank upgrade myself.

I'm going to give Cleartides ozone reactor a shot. Price point is a lot better. Maybe not a low as DIY, but close considering it also includes a carbon filter. For my future 130g (total system water), the smallest unit should work. I will feed it off the manifold. We shall see. My tank build may not happen for a couple of months.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back