Diy supplements trouble

austintylerl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few diy supplements that I add using food grade phosphate, nitrate, using food grade elements. I also use BRS diy mixes and it seems they are very unreliable, material might be settling at the bottom of jars etc.

Am I just mixing it not long enough? Should just buy Reef products instead? What are your experiences?

I have a 20g with limited coral frags now so maybe my low dosage allows for the stuff to just settle at the bottom? (500ml containers)

Thank you!

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be impurities?

Whenever i mix up my DIY chems i mix to the ratio i want, let them settle then run it through a 5 mic filter sock

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm confused... what exactly are you mixing ie. specific chemicals?

Some take longer than others to dissolve. I find it's not uncommon to have a few "grains" of remaining powder at the bottom of the mixing vessel depending on what you're making. It's also possible you are mixing the solution too strong and have passed the maximum solubility for the specific chemical. If we know what and how much I'm sure one of the forum chemistry experts can help.

Generic advise: Typically heat/longer stirring duration fixes the problem of difficult to dissolve substances.

If you're interested, you can pickup cheap new/used hot plates with magnetic stirrers from old labs on eBay and pyrex laboratory flasks & beakers on Amazon to mix things like a pro chemist.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back