DIY Wood Stand - Need Help.

Funkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. So i'm planning to build DIY stand. But i don't know what size lumber should i use? 2x4" planks would be a overkill i think..

The plan is to build like in the images. But at this size (DxLxH) 50x80x110 Centimeters (in inches 20x32x43") My aquarium is tall 150 liters. (40 gallons)

I want also to have some safety margins.. Like lets say the stand needs to hold at least 3 times the intended weight. ☺️

Can i go 1x2" lumber? I will be screwing sheet of 25mm(1") plywood on top and bottom.

Any inputs? Thanks in advance. :)

Also question - Do aquarium needs to sit right on top of the legs? Can i build stand little bigger and put very thick plywood on top and place the aquarium in middle of stand? Lets take first image for example. The aquarium would sit past the legs. It would be positioned right on top of the front opening.

I want the stand to have a little countertop area around the aquarium.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just use 2x4 to be safe. yes, you can have the stand footprint larger than the tank to have a "ledge" around the tank made of appropriately thick plywood which will spread the weight of the tank over the stand.

RoudyRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add plywood all around to contain noise and moisture from the room. I would assume your going to place your sump, pumps, cooler etc underneath. Use cabinet grade plywood on the front to finish off like furniture. Also on the top with waterproof sealing to prevent the inevitable water damage from drips etc. over the years. :)

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily build this with 3/4" cabinet grade plywood. I'd look for Baltic Birch or marine grade mahogany. Joinery can be done with glue, nails, or screws. I would not use 2X4 for this.

You can also see the plywood stand I built in my 'My Tank' thread link.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back