DIY Wooden Stand - verify this is okay?

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone-

I can't seem to find a stand that fits the dimensions for my acrylic tank, so I'll be building my own wood stand for the first time. If you guys are familiar with "the king of DIY" on Youtube, I'm basically replicating his process of building it out of purely 2 x 4's. I plan on using the "premium standard lumber" from home depot. If there is a different type of wood you'd recommend over this one?

My tank is 36 x 20w x 12

Also, for those of you who are experienced building stands, would you mind verifying this mock-up looks okay? (Please excuse my kindergarten-level artistic skills and lack of symmetry)

(I am cutting the stand an additional inch so I have a bit of extra room to work with)

green: represents the main supporting legs

red: represents width of outer frame
black: length of outer frame

blue: corner support legs - 2 per leg (in my diagram, I show these as being the same length, but they're actually shorter than the main support legs)

purple: center supports

Would really appreciate any help. Thanks all!

-Brian G.

stand.png

diy.png

Douglas grace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone-

I can't seem to find a stand that fits the dimensions for my acrylic tank, so I'll be building my own wood stand for the first time. If you guys are familiar with "the king of DIY" on Youtube, I'm basically replicating his process of building it out of purely 2 x 4's. I plan on using the "premium standard lumber" from home depot. If there is a different type of wood you'd recommend over this one?

My tank is 36 x 20w x 12

Also, for those of you who are experienced building stands, would you mind verifying this mock-up looks okay? (Please excuse my kindergarten-level artistic skills and lack of symmetry)

(I am cutting the stand an additional inch so I have a bit of extra room to work with)

blue: corner support legs - 2 per leg (in my diagram, I show these as being the same length, but they're actually shorter than the main support legs)

-Brian G.

stand.png

diy.png
I would use treated considering all the water around it

Douglas grace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont get treated I would consider coating it with something to lock out moisture

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont get treated I would consider coating it with something to lock out moisture

I've heard the heat treated stands contain arsenic and are generally not recommended for ease of use either..

Will definitely consider spraying it with something waterproof

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built many stands using 2x4's, 1x2's and even no stick - just straight plywood. I do NOT recommend treated lumber for this. For one, it is absolutely not necessary. People have been advising on how to build stands for decades and treated has never been required. Heck, manufacturer stands are only MDF. Your design is solid and if you follow the King of DIY lol, you will be satisfactorily over built - nothing wrong with that.

My current tanks are a 110 gallon on 3/4" plywood (no sticks) and a 40 gallon on 1x2's. My past tanks were a 65 on 2x4's, a 20 on 1/2" ply and a 90g on MDF. My waterproofing has been as simple as exterior latex paint, to a multi-step oil based primer & enamel system and also stains and exterior grade urethanes. My current 40g is only a hand rubbed poly. Don't over think this stuff. Yes, the wood is around water...so is all of the other furniture in your house once you bring a tank in. If you do it right, the wood will remain dry and will last a long time.

Btw, on treated, you have to let that air dry to a certian moisture level before you can paint it.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not use treated wood. Use standard wood and paint the inside with appliance epoxy and use waterproof expandable caulk. Check the first page of my build thread. I dont know where you are going to place the tank but I used plywood in the bottom part of the stand, painted and caulked the edges and it acts like basin in case I have a leak so water would not head directly to my carpet.

Always make sure it is level and use foam between the tank and the plywood top. The tank will settle on it and it was make up for any carpentry errors (not that you will make any). ;)

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built many stands using 2x4's, 1x2's and even no stick - just straight plywood. I do NOT recommend treated lumber for this. For one, it is absolutely not necessary. People have been advising on how to build stands for decades and treated has never been required. Heck, manufacturer stands are only MDF. Your design is solid and if you follow the King of DIY lol, you will be satisfactorily over built - nothing wrong with that.

My current tanks are a 110 gallon on 3/4" plywood (no sticks) and a 40 gallon on 1x2's. My past tanks were a 65 on 2x4's, a 20 on 1/2" ply and a 90g on MDF. My waterproofing has been as simple as exterior latex paint, to a multi-step oil based primer & enamel system and also stains and exterior grade urethanes. My current 40g is only a hand rubbed poly. Don't over think this stuff. Yes, the wood is around water...so is all of the other furniture in your house once you bring a tank in. If you do it right, the wood will remain dry and will last a long time.

Btw, on treated, you have to let that air dry to a certian moisture level before you can paint it.

Thank you very much, really appreciate it!

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use treated wood. Use standard wood and paint the inside with appliance epoxy and use waterproof expandable caulk. Check the first page of my build thread. I dont know where you are going to place the tank but I used plywood in the bottom part of the stand, painted and caulked the edges and it acts like basin in case I have a leak so water would not head directly to my carpet.

Always make sure it is level and use foam between the tank and the plywood top. The tank will settle on it and it was make up for any carpentry errors (not that you will make any). ;)

solid advice, thank you! I will check out your thread.

It will be on carpet, so the basin idea is very appealing. Already plan on putting a foam sheet on top of the plywood ;)

Douglas grace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Douglas grace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the inside of my cabinet the wood is getting a lol wavy from all the moisture from eveperated water from sump if I could do it over i would use treated imo

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the inside of my cabinet the wood is getting a lol wavy from all the moisture from eveperated water from sump if I could do it over i would use treated imo

Bad idea indoors. I used a sandal filler primer, Zinser brand I believe, then 3 coats of enamel paint, sanded heavily in between coats. Then I used ventilation fans. I built the bottom of the stand like a tub and my skimmer has overflowed and filled this tub a few times...as did my kalkwasser reactor once. I holds about 5 gallons of water....no warping.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone-

My tank is 36 x 20w x 12

-Brian G.

stand.png

diy.png

That is a tried and true design for me. Typically, I will polyurethane my stands as protection from humidity. Will you be leaving it open or will you be wrapping it to finish?

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
solid advice, thank you! I will check out your thread.

It will be on carpet, so the basin idea is very appealing. Already plan on putting a foam sheet on top of the plywood ;)
I used a 1/2" thick black Yoga mat from Target under my 150. At first it didn't settle but I just noticed yesterday that my plumbing was out of level and then noticed that my Yoga mat had compressed to a 1/4".

As far as the rest of the build goes, everything looks great.

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a mix of Pine and Redwood untreated and just painted with 3 coats of decent quality gloss paint inside.
Pretty much same design as yours, with 3 removable side panels.
7d54ff062e955f7d0f325c857f0264c1.jpg
5bec79be3ec4c23e73144b7ebd8dc2b7.jpg

Back