Do Cooler Tanks produce better Color in Coral than Warmer Tanks?

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank get to 89 when I temp probe was left out of the tank. Have also had it drop down to around 72 with a power outage. Never crashed either time thank god.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think lower temperatures help color because how zooxanthellae in the corals decline at warmer temperatures of seawater, then bleaching happens when seawater is higher then normal losing all color.

The study of Symbiodinium biology is driven largely by a desire to understand global coral reef decline. A chief mechanism for widespread reef degradation has been stress-induced coral bleaching caused by unusually high seawater temperature (Fig. 4). Bleaching is defined as the disassociation of the coral and the symbiont and/or loss of chlorophyll within the alga, resulting in a precipitous loss in the animal’s brown pigmentation. Many Symbiodinium-cnidarian associations are affected by sustained elevation of sea surface temperatures,[9] but may also result from exposure to high irradiance levels (including UVR),[10][11] extreme low temperatures,[12] low salinity,[13] and other factors.[14] The bleached state is associated with decreased host calcification (Colombo-Pallotta et al. 2010), increased disease susceptibility[15] and, if prolonged, partial or total mortality.[16] The magnitude of mortality from a single bleaching event can be global in scale, and these episodes are predicted to become more common and severe as temperatures worldwide continue to rise.[17] The physiology of a resident Symbiodinium species often regulates the bleaching susceptibility of a coral.[18][19] Therefore a significant amount of research has focused on characterizing the physiological basis of thermal tolerance[20][21][22][23] and in identifying the ecology and distribution of thermally tolerant symbiont species.
Symbiodinium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back