Do Foxface shed?

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am watching my Foxface and it looks like he had little red scratches on him. I just added some Mexican turbo snails I got from a LFS (skipped qt), but “should be clean”.
I got nervous immediately, and as I watched I noticed him losing a thin slime layer that was hanging onto to him. Now the red scratches are gone, and he looks good as new. Is this normal? He is eating/acting absolutely fine, and all other fish are fine. Thoughts? You can see the slime layer in two pics, light red is kind of hard to see in the third, rest assured they were there.

IMG_1811.jpeg IMG_1809.jpeg IMG_1801.jpeg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they will occasionally shed their slime coat. Nice looking fish!

OP
OP
SaracensRugby

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is a chunky monkey, I have had him for 5 years I think. He picked at a clam years ago, so scared to get them again. Otherwise a model citizen.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I am watching my Foxface and it looks like he had little red scratches on him. I just added some Mexican turbo snails I got from a LFS (skipped qt), but “should be clean”.
I got nervous immediately, and as I watched I noticed him losing a thin slime layer that was hanging onto to him. Now the red scratches are gone, and he looks good as new. Is this normal? He is eating/acting absolutely fine, and all other fish are fine. Thoughts? You can see the slime layer in two pics, light red is kind of hard to see in the third, rest assured they were there.

IMG_1811.jpeg IMG_1809.jpeg IMG_1801.jpeg
Rgis happens occasionally but also when ph is elevated, salinity is elevated and skin irritated. Assure what was mentioned is in norms

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back