Do overflow boxes go bad?

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty simple question - just curious if overflow boxes have a lifespan on them. A small leak in one of the bulkheads makes me question life span on those items.

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tank and overflow used so there’s always a question of just exactly how old is this stuff, but I was noticing that the back of the box was bowed from the two overflow bulkheads.

I know that I’ll have to replace the one bulkhead soon, would it be prudent to also replace with a newer version of the overflow box?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tank and overflow used so there’s always a question of just exactly how old is this stuff, but I was noticing that the back of the box was bowed from the two overflow bulkheads.

I know that I’ll have to replace the one bulkhead soon, would it be prudent to also replace with a newer version of the overflow box?
I got my tank used it does a simalar thing. But you really wouldn't haft to replace anything as long as it's not completely bypassing everything.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bulkheads have a gasket. Over time, they can dry out and crack. I would replace the gasket on the bulkhead.

Also, when installing the gasket, put a small amount of petroleum jelly on your fingers and massage it in thoroughly to the new gasket. This will help make a better seal and prevent drying out/cracking.

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my tank used it does a simalar thing. But you really wouldn't haft to replace anything as long as it's not completely bypassing everything.

That’s good to know, one less thing to worry about failing… or leaking on my floor giving my wife more arrows to throw.

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulkheads have a gasket. Over time, they can dry out and crack. I would replace the gasket on the bulkhead.

Also, when installing the gasket, put a small amount of petroleum jelly on your fingers and massage it in thoroughly to the new gasket. This will help make a better seal and prevent drying out/cracking.
I put jelly on the seals for my pressure washer, didn’t think about doing that on the tank seals. That’s a good idea, thank you!

And I have to replace one because my extraordinary man strength stripped the threads… ‍♂️

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unless the box has been damaged, just the gaskets need change on both.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put jelly on the seals for my pressure washer, didn’t think about doing that on the tank seals. That’s a good idea, thank you!

And I have to replace one because my extraordinary man strength stripped the threads… ‍♂️

I find that it is best to tighten by hand best you can and then apply a small turn with channel locks.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back