Do PTC heaters actually reduce your electricity bill?

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Schego is releasing new PTC titanium heaters in Europe in December.
Schego says:
The novel PTC aquarium heaters made of titanium tubing are particularly energy-efficient, as their output depends on the heat extraction. If a lot of heat is extracted from the heater, it readjusts its temperature independently and increases its output. As soon as it reaches its maximum temperature, the power decreases again and hardly any current flows.
If I already have a titanium heater, am I gonna be able to reduce my electricity bill further by running a PTC heater instead of a "classic" (resistor-type) titanium heater?

Thanks a lot for any insight!

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I could be wrong here but I fail to see how a heater could be more power efficient, considering that they are already basically 100% efficient (if power is not wasted as heat, which is what you want, then where is it going???)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I could be wrong here but I fail to see how a heater could be more power efficient, considering that they are already basically 100% efficient (if power is not wasted as heat, which is what you want, then where is it going???)
That was my thought too

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to use less electricity is to unplug (any) electrical appliances. :)

If heat transfer per watt is greater from different materials?
If it reduced evaporation from the tank when working,?

No free lunch unless they break the rules somehow?

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they certainly do use less electricity, since when they reach maximum temperature they consume 0w, instead of whatever wattage the heater can reach.

Basically a standard heater always consumes its wattage.
The wattage of a PTC heater depends on its temperature, so that the heater "waits" for the heat transfer to happen, before asking for more electricity.

The matter is whether the electricity you save is marginal, or noticeable $$$-wise.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they certainly do use less electricity, since when they reach maximum temperature they consume 0w, instead of whatever wattage the heater can reach.

Basically a standard heater always consumes its wattage.
The wattage of a PTC heater depends on its temperature, so that the heater "waits" for the heat transfer to happen, before asking for more electricity.

The matter is whether the electricity you save is marginal, or noticeable $$$-wise.
But if the normal heaters stay on more than needed doesnt that extra heat energy still have to go into the water?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my heaters on a
But if the normal heaters stay on more than needed doesnt that extra heat energy still have to go into the water?
no, right? :cool:

My heater is on a controller that turns the heaters on when the tank is cold, and off when the tank is in range. If the tank gets cold and my fish get sick I kinda wasted my money on a heater that was shutting itself off because it was too hot?

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.

PTC heaters are not just an aquarium thing. We can discuss whether the savings would be noticeable, but I don't think we need to discuss whether PTC heaters are any more energy efficient than resistor heaters.
That's just an established fact. Google them.
PTC heaters require less energy and operate at lower temps than traditional technologies which saves on battery life. Additive conductive circuitry PTC heaters are more environmentally friendly by producing less waste than the subtractive chemical etching process used in copper foil heaters or the wires used for silicone heaters.

They have a long life time and low power consumption. Due to the energy savings from using less power, combined with the elimination of components and controls, PTC heaters typically result in a lower total installed cost vs. most of the common heater constructions available today (copper etched foil, silicone rubber, forced air and graphite heaters).

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.

PTC heaters are not just an aquarium thing. We can discuss whether the savings would be noticeable, but I don't think we need to discuss whether PTC heaters are any more energy efficient than resistor heaters.
That's just an established fact. Google them.
Well then there is an answer! Physics still works when it's applied. :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUTT THE COST< I could run my regular heater for years on the cost of this upgrade?

• 100 Watt
    $99.99
  • 200 Watt
    $119.99
  • 350 Watt
    $148.99
  • 500 Watt
    $162.99
  • 200 Watt - [2 x 100W]
    $187.99
  • 400 Watt - [2 x 200W]
    $197.99
  • 700 Watt - [2 x 350W]
    $240.99
  • 1000 Watt - [2 x 500W]
    $268.99
  • Im not worried about saving the planet as much as the planet is trying to eat me outta house and hobby. :)

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure that in order to apply physics to such a niche subject, we probably need to understand heat exchange, electricity, and thermodynamics a bit better than the average knowledgable person.
That's when I'd rather go with the opinion of experts, than common sense.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. 1 watt is 3.41 btu end of story.only way to do better is to move heat not create it (heat pump) this is not a heat pump.

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could run my regular heater for years on the cost of this upgrade?
Guess you haven't seen the current electricity prices in Europe.
Also they're half that price in Europe.
Not sure where u got those prices from.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just astonished by how people are sure of their knowledge here :oops:.
Some things are just laws. If it isn’t a heat pump and is converting energy to heat instead of moving heat then 1 watt will always release 3.41 btu. Heater. Light bulb a fan even your ac unit has the exact same net heating impact

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't wear a mask during the pandemic except when it was required. My wife yelled at me when I did because we both were educated about the efficacy of masks and the size of virial particles. The experts from many governments loudly proclaimed us incorrect. Work is measured in watts or joules?

The government is taking over the utilities, with their eye on owning electricity and then they own us all. God help us.

i'm out. Physics was part of the creation and I feel safe it will remain until its removed.

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it isn’t a heat pump and is converting energy to heat instead of moving heat then 1 watt will always release 3.41 btu

So, doesn't even matter if the heater is glass or titanium?
The average thermal conductivity of titanium, even though it isn’t the best in absolute in sense, is definitely better than glass, with 21,9 W/(m·K) against 0,5-1 W/(m·K). (source).

Why not make heaters all the same size regardless of wattage then?

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • 100 Watt
    $99.99
  • 200 Watt
    $119.99
  • 350 Watt
    $148.99
  • 500 Watt
    $162.99
Those are neither the wattages nor the prices by Schego. These are (converted to dollars).
  • 100 Watt
    $54,41
  • 200 Watt
    $67,25
  • 300 Watt
    $82,76$
  • 600 Watt
    $109,97
Screenshot 2022-11-19 alle 01.00.10.png

Back