Do you need an RO/DI system for a reef tank?

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm relatively new to saltwater keeping and will be planning on getting a saltwater tank soon. I've always used Fritz Complete which gets rid of ammonia, chlorine, nitrite, nitrate, and heavy metals in the water for my freshwater tanks. I've heard that a RO/DI system is used to remove chlorine and other impurities such as copper in the water. Technically the fritz complete already removes "heavy metals" and other impurities such as ammonia, chlorine, etc anyways, so is a RO/DI system really necessary? Or can I just use my usual fritz complete and then add the salt mix?

Thanks for any response

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm relatively new to saltwater keeping and will be planning on getting a saltwater tank soon. I've always used Fritz Complete which gets rid of ammonia, chlorine, nitrite, nitrate, and heavy metals in the water for my freshwater tanks. I've heard that a RO/DI system is used to remove chlorine and other impurities such as copper in the water. Technically the fritz complete already removes "heavy metals" and other impurities such as ammonia, chlorine, etc anyways, so is a RO/DI system really necessary? Or can I just use my usual fritz complete and then add the salt mix?

Thanks for any response
I think those products just neutralize those impurities, RODI will make water that measures at zero (or near zero) TDS. This means pure water, nothing in it. Using tap water, even if treated with fritz, will leave the water with hundreds of TDS (depending on where you live). Many of these dissolved solids will be compounds that are harmful to our reefs and not found in natural environments. RODI is highly advised although I have heard of successful reefs being run on tap.

JPG Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for any response
IM not familiar with that product, and I've heard people can run tanks successfully without rodi. I guess it also depends how good/bad your source water is.

I would recommend a rodi to alleviate any issues that could arise. And just to have peace of mind that your water is 100% safe.

This is the unit I use, works fine for me. 0 TDS.

Screenshot_20221219_191018_Amazon Shopping.jpg

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those products just neutralize those impurities, RODI will make water that measures at zero (or near zero) TDS. This means pure water, nothing in it. Using tap water, even if treated with fritz, will leave the water with hundreds of TDS (depending on where you live). Many of these dissolved solids will be compounds that are harmful to our reefs and not found in natural environments. RODI is highly advised although I have heard of successful reefs being run on tap.
Got it, also I've looked at the RO/DI systems and there are 75 GPD and 100 GPD, which one would be "worth it" in your opinion?
I've heard some people say that the 75 GPD would be the "most worth it", but I also heard some people say that the 100 GPD is worth it as well but yea, I'm still not sure about this

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM not familiar with that product, and I've heard people can run tanks successfully without rodi. I guess it also depends how good/bad your source water is.

I would recommend a rodi to alleviate any issues that could arise. And just to have peace of mind that your water is 100% safe.

This is the unit I use, works fine for me. 0 TDS.

Screenshot_20221219_191018_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Yea, after reading some replies, I'm planning to get a RO/DI system as well, coincidentally the same one as the one you showed. I also looked at the same brand that is 100 GPD instead of 75 GPD, which one is more worth it in your opinion? or does it depend on how big your tank is?

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz Complete or any other additives do not actually "get rid of" anything. They don't purify water, they just neutralize toxins so your fish can tolerate the water. I've been keeping freshwater tanks for 30+ years and adding any such product just makes the TDS go up and doesn't actually improve the water quality. They're useless for Caridina shrimp tanks, so they won't be any more helpful for saltwater.

That said, you don't necessarily need to buy a system. If your local aquarium shop handles saltwater, they will probably sell you RODI water, which could work for a medium-sized tank. If you have a small enough tank (nano), you can also get away with buying jugs of distilled water OR buying a Zero Water filter pitcher--it's not RODI, but it comes close and you will start with a ~6.4pH and 0 TDS.

Also, saltwater fauna is usually expensive compared to freshwater. You should probably want to invest in at least the minimum in good water to try and keep them alive. :smiling-face:

JPG Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, after reading some replies, I'm planning to get a RO/DI system as well, coincidentally the same one as the one you showed. I also looked at the same brand that is 100 GPD instead of 75 GPD, which one is more worth it in your opinion? or does it depend on how big your tank is?
Per BRS website:

"75 GPD vs 100 GPD

By definition GPD = Gallons Per Day which is the rate at which the system will produce purified 0 TDS RO/DI water. This is ultimately dictated by the membrane combined with the appropriate flow restrictor. There is also a performance difference in that your 75 GPD is the best option to provide a balance between TDS removal and lower DI consumption. The 100 GPD has a slightly less efficient rejection rate meaning you could burn through filters a little faster compared to 75 GPD membrane, but your also producing RO/DI water faster so choose based on what matters to you most."

I don't think the extra 25 'gallons per day' will make or break you. I would suggest the 75gpd personally.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back